Saber III - LCD backlights dead - any fix?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Saber III - LCD backlights dead - any fix?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have a UHF Saber III where the LCD backlights are dead.

I understand that there are 2 green LED's at each side of the LCD - neither light up.

I presume one or both of the LED's are blown?

Is it easy to replace the LED's?

Could the problem be due to another fault?

The backlights work on my other Sabers which are the same age - so I'm not sure why BOTH LCD backlights are dead...unless they are wired in series so if one blows the other will no light up??

Thanks
g8tzl2004

Re: Saber III - LCD backlights dead - any fix?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Any ideas?
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Bad LED(s), one of the legs came off from the LED(s), pretty simple to fix......... unless things go to hell.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks

If one LED is bad, does that cause the other LED not to light up?
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

g8tzl2004 wrote:Thanks

Depending on how the curcuit is built, yes. I don't have a service manual to reference though.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

Post by KF5LSC »

spectragod wrote:

Depending on how the curcuit is built, yes. I don't have a service manual to reference though.
Your post got me thinking, so I spent about an hour sifting through the Astro Saver service manual and circuit diagrams. Although I found information on the display flex connector pinout and the B+ source for the LED lighting, there is no schematic diagram of the display/ keypad in the Astro Saber detailed service manual. That seems like an odd oversight, unless I am missing one of the diagrams.

In any case, it looks like the display PCB can be removed from its mount by straightening out four retaining tabs. Any open connections at the LEDs should be (hopefully be?) obvious with a close visual inspection.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

KF5LSC wrote:
spectragod wrote:

Your post got me thinking, so I spent about an hour sifting through the Astro Saver service manual and circuit diagrams. Although I found information on the display flex connector pinout and the B+ source for the LED lighting, there is no schematic diagram of the display/ keypad in the Astro Saber detailed service manual. That seems like an odd oversight, unless I am missing one of the diagrams.

In any case, it looks like the display PCB can be removed from its mount by straightening out four retaining tabs. Any open connections at the LEDs should be (hopefully be?) obvious with a close visual inspection.
Your miles past me, I don't have a service manual for a Saber. It does sound like one of those parts that they don't want you to fix, just buy new. The only problem..... they never expected the end user to keep the radio well past it's life cycle.

Back to the LED issue, being that I maintain a fleet of Crown Victoria's, 100 or so, most of the dash board and switches are back lit with LED's, I have repaired many back-lighting circuits by finding and fixing 1 LED leg that had broken loose, saved buying a new panel, and I like a challenge..... your results may vary.

What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

Post by KF5LSC »

To g8tzl2004:

In case you can't fix the LED issue and decide for a replacement, I found this gem on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-NEW-As ... 1e7f27ada0
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks for your help.

My Saber III is just the analog version - its not the digital Astro Saber.

Is the LCD board for the Astro Saber identical to the analog Saber III?

I wondering if anybody has ever fixed the LED lights on a Saber III without just swapping the board. Is a dead backlight a common issue?
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Years ago my Sys/Saber had a blown bulb. My friend who was a radio tech said it was much easier to swap the board, & that's what he did. He had a few laying around. GARY
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

g8tzl2004 wrote:Is the LCD board for the Astro Saber identical to the analog Saber III?
No, they are quite different.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

How long do LED backlights last?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”