100w Mobile Repeater

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireguy824
New User

100w Mobile Repeater

Post by fireguy824 »

I'm looking for a 100w mobile repeater to put in my truck. Any ideas?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: 100w Mobile Repeater

Post by escomm »

Two PM1500 strapped together with a RICK?
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

Could you share what your expected outcome would be? I.E. .. what problem are you trying to rectify? 100w mobile repeater is uncommon, but I have seen them Incident Command vehicles. FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

My guess is that you will need some sort of duplexor or at least some notch filters to keep from swamping the receiver from the transmitter output. Typically you will need at least 70 db of isolation to even get it to play. The larger the frequency separation, the better off your going to be with receiver desense.

Make sure all the cables you use are double shielded. Use of small sized heliax cable will work. Stay away from using any of the LMR type cables using the foil shielding under the copper braid.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Just wondering what others may have found for increased tx range by doubling the wattage output ?
I myself really didn't see a big gain in tx range .
What I tried it on was a repeater at a high location that had right at an honest day to day range of 30 miles at 50 watts output.
When the tx was doubled to 100 wats I recall the tx range only increasing by say 3 miles to 33 total.
Is anyone else seeing much of a gain by doubling there tx output.
Satelite
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Doubling power is only 3db gain. I've done enough prop studies across broad areas to know 3db is this thin line that might be a few miles wide. You don't get better range as much as you get better quieting closer in. But, it will get you out that last mile (with coin toss reliability) if that's your goal.

Of course, that's only your talk out range, and does nothing for your talk in range (receiver).
Will

Post by Will »

fireguy824 wrote:I'm looking for a 100w mobile repeater to put in my truck. Any ideas?
Need more information, You may be referring to a Mobile Extender.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”