XTL 5000 VS ASTRO SPECTRA

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BigJim

XTL 5000 VS ASTRO SPECTRA

Post by BigJim »

Hello to all,

I own several astro spectra's and am considering trying an XTL 5000 because of the smaller 05 control head. With the newer vehicles space is a problem as I'm sure you all know. My Astro's have all been be re-capped and work quite well. Just looking for someone who has experience with both to chime in with the pros and cons. I do not use or need any trunking capabilities.

I value any and all opinions.

Thank you, BJ
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Re: XTL 5000 VS ASTRO SPECTRA

Post by PhillyPhoto »

Not sure if you're doing remote or dash mount installs, but I think the O5 remote may be a little deeper than the spectras. The upside though is programming right from the control head (with no RIB required), a better display with different background colors. You can also get a lot more channels with the XTLs if that's important to you, not to mention a wider bandwidth in UHF than the 20-30MHz you get from a spectra. Having just recapped your spectra though, you're really in the best scenario where you're not needing to replace it, but can take your time and look for a good deal if you decide to upgrade. If you're really tight on space, go for the O3 HHCH.
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

Thank you

My Spectra's that may get replaced are hi power with W9 heads. I also read the newer XTL's will only do narrowband spacing in most of the VHF 150-174 range except for Wx chs and ham freqs. I have to have a few 25khz chs to communicate with some Canadian harvestors that I still work with from time to time. Is the narrowbanding done through the radio firmware or through the CPS, or both? I also wonder about performance as I need long range for some pickups.

I run TRBO's on the UHF side.
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

Yeah, going to O5 from W9 will save a lot of space. I believe XTLs manufactured after Jan 1, 2012 are narrowband only, but I don't know where the serial number cutoff is, so you'd have to ask the seller. Also try to avoid flashcodes with the 12.5KHz FCC mandate option, unless you have access to dropping that. I'm pretty sure narrowbanding is hardware/flashcode dependent, so the CPS should be fine.
p47r4ck

Post by p47r4ck »

XTL-series Narrow-band is all enforced via FlashCode.

Option "G507 - 12.5 kHz FCC Mandate", is the option you DON'T want.

As long as you're G507-free, you can use 25 kHz spacing whether or not you're within FCC regulation.

When you're looking at a radio for potential purchase, just ask for the FlashCode, then punch into akardam's awesome decoding site (http://www.akardam.net/moto/tools/decode4.pl)

You probably already knew about this site anyways since you've got Astro Spectras.

Really, unless you're buying an XTL new from /\/\ or something very lightly used that's less than two (2) years old, being locked into 12.5 kHz spacing isn't too big of a thing to worry about.

I'm still torn on which radio I prefer. From a technician's standpoint the Spectra is easier to repair and parts-swap modules (the XTL is pretty much a single board). OTOH, the XTL gives you more signaling / selective call goodies and a bitmap character display. Some folks aren't a fan of the contrast levels on the LCD on the XTL series, but it's never bothered me personally.

Not needing a SmartRIB and special separate cables to do a firmware bump with the XTL is kinda nice too (same cable for programming AND flashing... brave new world!)

You mentioned trunking features are of no concern to you, so no need to touch on any of that.

I have a VHF Astro Spectra High Power with a W9 head that I use as a base radio and love it. I could also use the brick to defend myself against a home invasion!

Happy hunting!
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

Thanks for the info!
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

The XTL is a much better choice if channel count is needed. You can go to a max of 50 zones and load it up with channels. I generally have from 10 to 15 channels in each of the zones in my several XTL radios. I limit the channel count to 15, so I can have all the channels in each zone to be in the scan list.

On the wide narrow channel width, I think you will find the newer firmware should allow wide operation on such channels as weather and other non part 90 frequencies. Taking the radios into the ham band allows wide operation.

Jim

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”