NMN6193B with iPod earbuds/headphones?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

NMN6193B with iPod earbuds/headphones?

Post by fogster »

I'm surprised I couldn't find this on Google or via search here. Maybe I'm nuts, or maybe the answer is obvious to everyone else.

I am interested in using ordinary headphones to use with my XTS2500. (For receive-only.) It looks like there is an adapter for this, the BDN6676D, which exposes a 3.5mm jack, though it's marketed as being used for Motorola headsets. However, it looks like the NMN6193B speaker-mic also has that adapter built in, and they're a dime a dozen on eBay, compared to $50+ for the adapter. And I was toying with buying a speaker-mic anyway for mobile use.

Has anyone actually used one of these speaker-mics with ordinary headphones, versus a proper headset? I wanted to confirm it'd actually work before buying one. And does plugging in a headset/headphone set mute the speaker-mic? (I do not work in public safety, so my coworkers don't really enjoy listening to the local fire department all day.)

It's not my intended use, but I'm also curious -- if one manually keys the PTT, would the audio from something like iPod earbuds be picked up properly on transmit, or are the headsets wired differently? Somehow I never quite figured out the different 3.5mm configurations.
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Re: NMN6193B with iPod earbuds/headphones?

Post by tztop10 »

the mic on the earbuds will not pick up since the 3.5 doesn't read fully into the speaker mic, but I know my HT1250 mic has a built in 3.5 jack that works very well (for rx only)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”