DIGITAC 5V Failure?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

DIGITAC 5V Failure?

Post by d119 »

Finally had my DIGITAC comparator take a big dump on me. I have the 5V FAIL LED illuminated, as well as the "LOW VOLTAGE" LED illuminated.

I seem to recall the DC-DC converters on the card with these LED's on it were an issue. Replacing the Artesyn 12V to 5V converter should fix this, correct?

Anyone experienced this?
Bill_G

Re: DIGITAC 5V Failure?

Post by Bill_G »

Never had one break. Dozens put into service in the 80's-90's. All taken out and sent to auction in the last decade. No service activity in between. I may even have one laying around the shop. Let me check. Don't hold your breath. The company has been trying to sell this building, and lots of kewl stuff in the attic has disappeared.
d119

Post by d119 »

Let me know, Bill. It's for my personal stuff. Could use whatever you have available for spares. I ordered another DC-DC converter, we'll see if that does it. I seem to recall this having been the second or third DIGITAC I've seen do this.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Okay. Unfortunately, they are gone.
d119

Post by d119 »

No worries, I was able to locate a replacement 5V DC-DC converter module on the 'Bay. Replaced it and the comparator is back in service. For anyone who experiences "+5V FAIL" and "LOW VOLTAGE" on a DIGITAC comparator, likely culprit is the 5V DC-DC converter box that is mounted to the Peripheral card of the comparator. Desolder, replace, resolder, carry on.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”