My Lumina has been reconfigured....**Update, More pix**

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

My Lumina has been reconfigured....**Update, More pix**

Post by JAYMZ »

I've been talking about it for months now and I finally gathered up enough of everything (including time) to fix and update the install job in my 2001 Lumina.

For this project I designed and built a console for under the dash since I have a 60/40 split bench seat. All the hard work of the install was done today. Started at 7 am and finished at about 6 pm...with a 3 hour break for a rescue call (2 mile hike into the wood...carry patient to chopper and go back to the firehouse and do the paperwork). Only thing left to do is securing the CD Changer remote on the open part of the face on the console, a few mic clips, and tidy up some loose ends. That'll be next weekend...

So on to the pictures.....

First stage... removed the seats and all the old wiring and radios. Boy...what a mess....

Primary wiring done...console is now secured...

With all the wiring done... the seats go back in. Thankfully they were tougher coming out than putting them back in.

Front view of the console. From the top... Switch for the lights, VHF Astro Spectra W9(with brand new CH), UHF Range 2 A7 Analog Spectra, and Low Band 35-50 GE Orion(recently revived from a "shocking" event)

And of course the brain of the set-up... The trunk units.
Last edited by JAYMZ on Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

JAYMZ

I'm not fond of Chebbies, but - SWEEEEEET install.

Jack

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Amber/blue SML-2? Where are you, California?? :) I thought they were the only ones that did that 8)

I wish I could do that color combo with my SML-2's that are sitting here, but I can't so I'll stick to the SignalMaster.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

Actually that is sort of where I got the idea from for the rear deck.

It's the same thing on both sides with the amber halogen flashers on the outside and the blue strobes on the inside. You can see I caugh one of the hide-aways firing in that picture too.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Post by 007 »

Nice looking package.....good job.

When I finish my Impala, I'll take a few pics also.
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

YOU COPIED MY TRUNK MOUNT LOL

Looks very nice, I have to move everything from the lumina that I showed here earlier to the 2003 TAHOE SSP, get on a plane and come and help.
Stan Glass

Government & Entertainment Division Manager (Kenwood)
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

USPSS wrote:YOU COPIED MY TRUNK MOUNT LOL
I'll PayPal you the royalties.....

USPSS wrote:Looks very nice, I have to move everything from the lumina that I showed here earlier to the 2003 TAHOE SSP, get on a plane and come and help.
I'll look into tickets tonight....
JAYMZ

Calvin
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Stan - whats your plan on the Tahoe? I started doing the lighting install on mine last night.
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

Well let's see.

1 30-42 Jaguar Mobile
1 35 50 Jaguar Mobile
1 136-152 Jaguar Mobile
1 150-174 Jaguar Mobile
1 440-470 Jaguar Mobile
1 470-512 Jaguar Mobile
1 800 Jauguar Mobile
1 480-512 Motorla Astro Spectra Plus W9
1 800 Astro Spectra Plus W9
All radios will be APCO 25, IMBE CAI and GE to include Provoice and Aegis

1 Unitrol 8000 system dual amp
Corner Srobes, LED's lots of toys.
In a custom TROY console with all radio's either dual headed or replicated at the command area in the rear.

Oh yeah an antenna farm on the top. LOL

No exterior lighting.
Stan Glass

JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

2 more pix...

JAYMZ

Calvin
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Whats the thing for to the right of the switches? Is that a mic for a HAM rig? Cant tell in the pic.
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

IT'S THE CHANGER AND CONTROLS FOR THE CD PLAYER
Stan Glass

alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Nice glassmount :lol:
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

Great install, super console. At least you had the decency to put the GE on the bottom........

Jack

code3media

Post by code3media »

Hey USPSS,

Is there any channel that you cant monitor? That would be an impressive setup.

And JAYMZ, That is a great set up you got going. as for your rear lights, I read that you have the SML2's in Halogen and Strobe. You must have moded them. Great Idea.

On an install I did many years ago, we had 2 SML2's mounted on the rear deck that alternated in unicin, Yellow with Yellow, Red with Red. But the neat thing, and this was at the request of the owner of the car, was that in position 1 of the siren controler, only the yellow lights alternated, but when in position 2, the red's became active (we used a simple relay), along with the front Red's. 3 would activate the strobes and other accessories. Not bad when you want to have warning to the rear, but want to maintain a somewhat low profile.

Anyways, good job.

Ryan
code3media@crownvic.net
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

Almost anyone commercial or public safety.

The vehicle is a SE Los Angeles County EMA command vehicle, so it has to be able to talk to anyone, we have some pretty fancy systems here and the surounding counties, from Ventura and Santa Barbara on the north to Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino to the East and San Diego, and Imperial to the South plus the state and federal agencies. The vehicle will also have a bank of portables to handle everything except low band, and it will all be interconnected thru an ACU-1000 system. There is even a call recorder and instant call retrieval system.

I just hope it works when the big one hits. It is kept outside away from any covered structures that could fall on it.

It should be finishe about the middle of July if anyone wants to come to So. Calif and see the finished unit.
Stan Glass

USPSS

Post by USPSS »

OH for your info the system controller is a JPS ACU-1000
Stan Glass

JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

alex wrote:Nice glassmount :lol:
It was fixed...after I talked to you I went and picked another one up...

So everyone get's the inside joke... My glassmount fell off yesterday afternoon on my way home from work....

But for the SML2's...yes they are modified slightly.. It was just a matter of swapping bulbs and lenses. Very simple modification...

Matt the Controller next to the switches if for my Pioneer 6 Disc Changer.... gotta have TUNES dude!!!
JAYMZ

Calvin
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Were you able to find some of that tape?

(now to explain so the above comment isn't out of context)

I have had a number of friends go out and purchase glass mount antennas - mostly the radio shack dual banders. They seem to be great antenna's and I've personally had minimal problems with the 2 I have on my truck.

However, I took off the factory stickey tape. Two friends of mine lost these antennas on the highway, and others haven't with the standard tape.

One of my roommates and I used the following tape:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... =64%2D2361

Supermount Tape

$1.99
Catalog #: 64-2361
(Pricing and Availability may vary outside
the contiguous 48 United States.)

So if people have experienced this problem before - this is the solution my roommate found, and so far has worked well. (and the others who have lost the antenna portion have found it's about the same cost to just get the full replacement antenna and not buy the whip which is around $30 - haven't lost an antenna yet using this tape.

-Alex

Post by 007 »

USPSS wrote:Almost anyone commercial or public safety.

The vehicle is a SE Los Angeles County EMA command vehicle, so it has to be able to talk to anyone, we have some pretty fancy systems here and the surounding counties, from Ventura and Santa Barbara on the north to Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino to the East and San Diego, and Imperial to the South plus the state and federal agencies. The vehicle will also have a bank of portables to handle everything except low band, and it will all be interconnected thru an ACU-1000 system. There is even a call recorder and instant call retrieval system.

I just hope it works when the big one hits. It is kept outside away from any covered structures that could fall on it.

It should be finishe about the middle of July if anyone wants to come to So. Calif and see the finished unit.
It may be worth a trip out there to see that........sounds like a hell of a comm truck.

Post by 007 »

code3media wrote:
On an install I did many years ago, we had 2 SML2's mounted on the rear deck that alternated in unicin, Yellow with Yellow, Red with Red. But the neat thing, and this was at the request of the owner of the car, was that in position 1 of the siren controler, only the yellow lights alternated, but when in position 2, the red's became active (we used a simple relay), along with the front Red's. 3 would activate the strobes and other accessories. Not bad when you want to have warning to the rear, but want to maintain a somewhat low profile.
I'd like to do the same thing, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the amber alternate when the red is off, then have amber/red alternate when both colors are on.........

Post by 007 »

Jaymz-

What does that fat lighter cord go to on the dash??

how did you do that SML-2 mod?????? I never looked at mine that close, but that would be something I'd like to try. Drop me a PM or something.
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

The big thick cord is for a Blue Tomar Police Light 2.

And the mode is pretty easy... You have 2 choices really...

You can cut the baseplates on the strobes and halogen lights and mix and match... or what I did was to drill a hole on the halogen base plate to accomodate the strobe tube.. which is really a rubber gasketed hideaway tube. the whole set-up took about 15 minutes to prepare.
JAYMZ

Calvin

Post by 007 »

I'm assuming that you had to remove the reflector to fit the strobe tube in the housing, right?

Does it effect performance, or is the fluted lens good enough with the big tube behind it?
code3media

Post by code3media »

007 Wrote:
I'd like to do the same thing, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the amber alternate when the red is off, then have amber/red alternate when both colors are on.........
I tried to make a diagram for you, but dont have the right program here at work. I will have to describe it to you.

You have 2 outputs from the flasher, LEFT and RIGHT.

First: Connect the Lead of the first color that you want to flash to the left and right outputs of the flasher.

Second: Install 2 relays in series with the second color, 1 lead and relay to one side of the flasher (LEFT), and the 2nd lead and relay to the other side of the flasher (RIGHT).

Hopefully you are familiar with the way relays work. Connect each light to operate as a open circuit until you want them to go on. Simply close the circuit (allowing the lights to flash Left & Right).

If you were wiring this to a pursuit switch, the flasher power would go to Position (1), the power closing the circuit on the relays would go to position (2).

Hope it makes sense. Play arround with the relays. I'm sure you will get it.

Anyways,
Ryan

Post by 007 »

Thanks Ryan...I get it. It's not quite what I want, but I think I can make it work from your notes. This will be controlled by my SmartSirenSM, so the slide switch mode 1 will be amber alternating flash, mode 2 will be amber/red alternate flash. When both colors flash, I'm looking for both amber lights to alternate with both red lights. Your pattern works, but it mixes the colors.

Using your same diagram, they could be wired so that both amber heads flash simultanously in mode 1, then alternate with the red when in mode 2...that would look kinda silly though.

I'm gonna play with the setup this weekend and see what I can do. This weekend is the first weekend of my install, so I'll be sick of X9000's after a while :D

Thanks for the start, however...it's a help!
davkenrem
What radios do you own?: STX, Spectra, Maxtrac, MTS2000

Post by davkenrem »

That is one of the nicest installs I've ever seen. I really like what you did.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”