FYI

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AS3 Beginner

Post by AS3 Beginner »

Just place an inforamtion in here but I believe all Astro users know it or did it.
I modified the ASTROP.ODB file and I change the band split from 450-512 to 430-512.
I can TX& RX in 430Mhz without any problem.
However, I did not know the VCO working fine in 430Mhz it because I have not any equipment.
I know it is not a new thing but just want other Astro Saber users know it.
And I should say thank you to people who place the message here they let me can study a lot of information about the Radio that I have, THANK YOU TO ALL.

AS3 Beginner
chad_g69

Post by chad_g69 »

AS3 Beginner wrote:Just place an inforamtion in here but I believe all Astro users know it or did it.
I modified the ASTROP.ODB file and I change the band split from 450-512 to 430-512.
I can TX& RX in 430Mhz without any problem.
However, I did not know the VCO working fine in 430Mhz it because I have not any equipment.
I know it is not a new thing but just want other Astro Saber users know it.
And I should say thank you to people who place the message here they let me can study a lot of information about the Radio that I have, THANK YOU TO ALL.

AS3 Beginner
i have got my astro set at 430 to 520, works just fine...
on my saber III, if i go more than 1MHz out of band (using the instructions at http://www.batlabs.com) it gives an error tone then the PTT button is pressed, and does not receive on the out-of-band freq.
WAY WEIRD... (the in-band freqs still worked..)

chad
Chad G
Southern California

...if its Motorola, you paid too much
Hightower

My Astro radio......

Post by Hightower »

UHF astro saber 3 403 - 470Mhz cut. I've been able to go up to 480 without any problems. TX and RX are just fine. I only changed the .ODB to go to 480Mhz, so the radio might go higher. I also thought the radio would only go up 1 or 2Mhz, but 10Mhz up is no problem on my radio.

One thing I noticed is the info on Batlabs Astro page on the model numbers is slightly incorrect. It says my radio is 450-470, but in reality I've got 403-470 (not hacked either) which is a valid band split.

My 2 cents
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have had success in bringing the tx and rx of a high split astro portable down to 430, with little tx degradation and almost none on rx. I have gotten the low split to do 490 without a problem as well. I don't recommend transmitting at these outlier freqs since the softpot settings cannot really be set to spec at these freqs as the test freqs are only within the rated bandsplit of the radio. However, you are more than safe to take a high split radio into the ham band and tx to you hearts desire. Likewise, you won't destroy a low split radio by tx'ing on 477.
Chris

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”