Vertex VX-150 programming problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motastro1

Vertex VX-150 programming problem

Post by motastro1 »

I recently got a VX-150 with expanded TX and have also purchased programming software.The problem I am having is that when you try to read or program the radio it starts and then "C-ERROR" comes up on the screen on the radio. I have checked all the connections on the radio,cable and computer but nothing has worked.I checked to see if since the radio has been modified if the software could be the problem as I am unable to program anything above 148 mhz in the TX area and when I go to the next line the frequency goes back to 148.000.I can go below that without a problem but not above. The radio programs fine using the keypad and will go to the expanded frequencies but I want to use the software.The software is not a copy it is Vertex software.I am fairly new to programming so any help would be appreciated.--Thanks
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

what computer are you using to program this radio? Some Computers are too fast to program some radio's, more so if you are using Windows XP. Let me know

Mikey
motastro1

Post by motastro1 »

I am using XP as it was installed in the computer when I bought it.I guess I never thought of that as being a problem?
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Re: Vertex VX-150 programming problem

Post by Cam »

motastro1 wrote:I recently got a VX-150 with expanded TX and have also purchased programming software.The problem I am having is that when you try to read or program the radio it starts and then "C-ERROR" comes up on the screen on the radio. I have checked all the connections on the radio,cable and computer but nothing has worked.I checked to see if since the radio has been modified if the software could be the problem as I am unable to program anything above 148 mhz in the TX area and when I go to the next line the frequency goes back to 148.000.I can go below that without a problem but not above. The radio programs fine using the keypad and will go to the expanded frequencies but I want to use the software.The software is not a copy it is Vertex software.I am fairly new to programming so any help would be appreciated.--Thanks
The radio is a ham radio, so I don't think the software is going to let you put in freq that are outside of the ham band. Just a guess. Can you program in a ham freq to the radio?

Cam
motastro1

Post by motastro1 »

When using the software I would type in a frequency above 148.000 and then go to the next line to type in more information and when I do this it goes back to 148.000.I don't have any problems with higher frequencies if I do it from the keypad.I asked the same question about the software since the radio is modified and was told they didn't think that would be a problem but no one so far can confirm this.
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

I'm Not Very Familiar with the Ham Gear, I deal in the Land Mobile side of Vertex Standard. I might be that the software won't let you go outside the band of that radio. I'll have to do some investigating and let you know what i found out.

Mikey
fred flintstone

Post by fred flintstone »

After you mod that radio if you read it first and then program it the software will let you put in anything within the expanded limits. But you have to read the radio first, and the software will recognize the expanded tx. I have programmed that radio with a system running Win ME with no problems. try a diffrent operating system other than XP, and you should be in good shape.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

VX150 programming...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Brad:

I tried my program last night on my Toshiba 1550 Satellite running W98. It took the out-of-band channels with no trouble on both TX and RX.

The advice given above is probably the best.

1. Program some out of band channels manually.
2. Read the radio. You should get the OOB channels okay.
3. Program normally from that point.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Will

Post by Will »

You need to also remember that enabling the VX150 transmitter on ANY frequency outside of HAM or MARS is in violation of Part(s) 90, 95 and 97 of the FCC regulations.

The radio, VX150, is NOT FCC type certificated (type accepted)for transmit use on anything other than HAM or MARS.
motastro1

Post by motastro1 »

Well at this point that won't be a problem because I can't program anything with the software and by what I'm finding out I'm probably not going to be able to. I didn't forget the rules either but I want this stuff to work too.--Thanks
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

I've got a VX800 (your big brother...) I have had troubles using the Vertex software on newer/faster computers, and in fact, CE-31 (the programmer for the 800) even has a warning that comes up when you run the program about computer speed.

I'd try a vintage pc now...

Tom
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
billy7834

Post by billy7834 »

I understand why, with some of the older Motorolas, you need to use an older, slower computer. Some of these radios are 15+ years old. But.....Why would you have to with the newer Vertex radios, eg. VX-800? I believe it is only about 5 years old.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

You dont have to use an older PC to program a VX800. As long as you have CE31 Windows Version you do not need to program on an older PC. I have used CE31 Windows version on Win98 and Win XP and it works fine.

Sean
billy7834

Post by billy7834 »

Great.....Thanks.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

Will wrote:You need to also remember that enabling the VX150 transmitter on ANY frequency outside of HAM or MARS is in violation of Part(s) 90, 95 and 97 of the FCC regulations.

The radio, VX150, is NOT FCC type certificated (type accepted)for transmit use on anything other than HAM or MARS.
I think we have another new recruit as a Kilocycle Cop. :wink:
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”