Dash lights

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Eric

Dash lights

Post by Eric »

O.K. guys. I am looking for a dash light to supplement the hideaways on my truck. It's a toss up between a dual Talon and a LED Slimlighter. Let's hear your opinions.
jim

Post by jim »

Choice #1: Tomar TLED series
Choice #2: Talon
Choice #3: 911EP LS-12
Choice #4: the rest of the LEDs ou there suck.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

If you go with the simlighter, go with the TIR6 version...it throws out a lot more light than the 20mm version.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
AltonFF

Post by AltonFF »

I agree with Jim. But add one more on.. . . .
The Whelen TIR Slimlighter. It does punch out a lot of light.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I have a TIR6 slimlighter and it is a very bright light. However, it's got nothing if you get more than about 30 degrees off center.

The Dual Talon also a very bright light AND it totally kicks ass in the off-angle department. Installations in an explorer, station wagon, and plymoth fury (tank) yielded outstanding results.

GET THE TALON!!! The TIR6 is kinda obsolete now.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

the tirs products are not obsolete. the 500 series body mounte are a damn good light
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

My Tomar Police Light II is awesome -- clears traffic like nobody's business, even in the daytime. It is a strobe, not LED however.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks for the replies. If any body here is a dealer I'd like to have a PM with prices on the Tomar and the Talon.

Thanks,
Eric
EOppegaard

Post by EOppegaard »

nmfire10 wrote:Installations in an explorer, station wagon, and plymoth fury (tank) yielded outstanding results.
Who the hell would put a Talon in a Station Wagon? :lol:

I highly reccomend the Talon, It puts a mini-edge, hideaway strobes, grill strobes, and headlight flasher to shame.
Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
jim

Post by jim »

How can one say that any dash light puts a mini-Edge to shame? Last time I checked, dash lights don't put out any side light.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Look straight on to this car, the Talon on the dash washes out the mini-edge on the roof. It really does. Obviosly, if you way off angle, the bar would take over.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

whats wrong with stations wagons.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Well, in general, nothing. But trust me, this station wagon is special. Don't worry, I'm sure the owner agrees :P
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

nmfire10 wrote:Well, in general, nothing. But trust me, this station wagon is special. Don't worry, I'm sure the owner agrees :P
Can we get some photographic assistance so we can see for ourselves? Is this along the lines of the infamous Ford Tempo project?? :D
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

KitN1MCC wrote:whats wrong with stations wagons.
I remember back in the day when I lived in Germany, the advanced life support was provided by physician's who drove nicely equipped BMW, Audi and Mercedes station wagons with lights and sirens... Hehehe

Gotta love the OLD school two tone sirens that run with a HI and a LO set of airhorns!!
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

jedi_saber wrote:
nmfire10 wrote:Well, in general, nothing. But trust me, this station wagon is special. Don't worry, I'm sure the owner agrees :P
Can we get some photographic assistance so we can see for ourselves? Is this along the lines of the infamous Ford Tempo project?? :D
Thats not up to me. However, if it were mine and someone wanted pictures, I would probably deny knowing anything about it. :lol:
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Robert HT220
What radios do you own?: JT1K VHF, MT1K VHF/UHF/800C

Post by Robert HT220 »

Hey, it's not as bad as a red and blue Aerodynic on a military green station wagon!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Trust me, it looks stupid as $hit. Especially with a lo band whip on the rear bumper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert
Pj

Post by Pj »

I get a little worried when I see DIE on the side of a public safety vehicle :o
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

thought i was the only one who saw that :o doesn't make me feel very warm and fuzzy
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

that is one butt ugly bar too
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

I like the "turn signals" mounted on the outside on the back of the car...

Kinda like the early '50s Volkswagens.

Cool paint job, though. Although with that "DIE" on the side, it reminded me of "Smoochy Must Die"...

Jack

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Speaking of stupid... The town just bought several Police Package Impalas to test as an alternative to the crown vic. What in the hell is with the those stupid ass brake lights on the back deck??? That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a long sad history of stupid things on emergency vehicles.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj

Post by Pj »

They must have bought the "metro" package for city driving...sorta like what Hartford has...high mounted stop/turn lights since everyone tailgates.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

nmfire10 wrote:Speaking of stupid... The town just bought several Police Package Impalas to test as an alternative to the crown vic. What in the hell is with the those stupid ass brake lights on the back deck??? That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a long sad history of stupid things on emergency vehicles.
Is GM still using these? I did the same to my Impala, but used FedSig SML2's in a red/amber combo...looks a lot nicer 8)

Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Yep. Those. Two of them on the back deck. I'm sure it increases the visibility but no other vehicle has them, why is it needed on these? It looks so stupid. Of course, the entire car is a flamboyant worthless piece of crapola so I guess it fits in well.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Of course, the entire car is a flamboyant worthless piece of crapola so I guess it fits in well.
I feel no love for the Impala... :(

Silly Ford man! :lol:
KB1JHU

Post by KB1JHU »

nmfire10 wrote:Speaking of stupid... The town just bought several Police Package Impalas to test as an alternative to the crown vic. What in the hell is with the those stupid ass brake lights on the back deck??? That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a long sad history of stupid things on emergency vehicles.
Milford PD had some of those brake lights on the back decks of the older crown vics. They didn't bother putting them on the newer ones. Good thing too, it looked really stupid.
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

tell me about it. Believe NYSP still uses these lollipop lights both in grille and on rear deck - hideous, travesty I tell you.
jim

Post by jim »

Oh, come on! The Impala is seriously outselling the Crown Victoria everywhere I see in many parts of the country.
They are cheaper to maintain than the LT1 CAprice ever was and they cost $3000.00 less than the Crown Vic.

They might not be the fastest or the best handling, but they are staying together really well (except for the early year trans failures) for a light duty civilian-based FWD car.

I'm far from being a GM fan, but these cars are great for small towns. I wouldn't recommend one for a highway patrol or for someone who needs speed and power.

As for the lollipop lights...these are spec'd by certain states and not GM, although GM installs them. GM will factory install a Gall's siren speaker if a purchaser of 5000 vehicles per years wanted that. This is the light that certain large purchasers wanted since it's low bucks. Can we say NYPD. How about PA State Police?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I've been asking the guys using these new Impalas how they like them. So far, the overal concensus is:

They are slow
They don't stop
They can't turn worth a damn
The ride like crap
They are too small
The list goes on

I think they are actually now to the point where they are TRYING to break them so the administration will decide not to buy any more after this "test period" is over.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

Hello all!! Long time reader, first time poster.....

I'll start off by giving my opinion of the Impala.... Crap. They fall apart, are doggy, and are just not made like my car #20, an '04 Vic. Our Imp's have been in the shop more than on the street, and our Vics that we've had for almost a year, have yet to be in the shop... but for driver error, (accidents). I was sad to hear that the 4 oldest Imps my dept has are being changed over for 4 new Imps... the low bid of course. But, that money saved will go right back into the car once the breakdowns start. Enough of my first rant.

I hope to read and post more...
Ryan
jim

Post by jim »

You're right. They are slow. They can't stop. They handle like :o. I think the taillight section looks like :o, too. They are, however, user friendly in terms of installing equipment.

But....

They are selling and staying together well. All in all, they aren't a bad police car. Just don't try to catch a new Cobra on the Turnpike or chase it through some twisties.

I am not a GM OR a Ford man, but one can't argue that they are selling like crazy. I'll take the Hemi Magnum next year with 300+ BHP to the rear wheels. Actually, I'll take a new Porsche Cayanne S Turbo SUV and outperform just about anything the police have (:
Pj

Post by Pj »

The Imp's around here were selling a bit as dept's were looking at alternative vechicles as budgets grew tighter. They found out that the inital and ongoing cost's were not worth it. Two lines of equipment, consoles, driving habits etc. Every dept around here has taken them off the line and use them for adminstrative purposes.

We drive the same type of vehicle every day, and don't want to adjust habits or comforts until the entire fleet swtiches over. We learned on the PI's, train with the PI's and we know them inside and out. It may be a fun car to drive time to time, but not for 8-16 hours a day, everyday.
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

I have a 2004 Impala 9C3 used as an admin vehicle, the car is in a previous post.

As an admin. vehicle it is wonderful, rides good, handles good and had COOL A/C. One negative is with all the radio equipment it lacks trunk space with the DR slide mount in the trunk.

I think for small towns it is a great car but for large cities that use pool cars then it should be limited to Detectives and Admin.

I have driven a new chevy RWD police package in AZ at the test center and it rocks, almost the same size as the CV but makes the CV feel weak. It handles like it's on rails, I hope it goes from idea to the streets in the next year. I think they are going to put some out with select dept's. for further testing
Stan Glass

Government & Entertainment Division Manager (Kenwood)
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

KitN1MCC wrote:that is one butt ugly bar too
What kind of lightbar is that anyway?
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
freema22
Banned

LEDs

Post by freema22 »

jim wrote:Choice #1: Tomar TLED series
Choice #2: Talon
Choice #3: 911EP LS-12
Choice #4: the rest of the LEDs ou there suck.
How can you say "the rest suck"? A light that you forgot is the Predator. I know for a fact that it blows away the LS12. There are a lot of people (myself included) that think it is brighter head on than the Talon, and the specs support that. I admit that the side warning is not as good as the Talon, but what kind of crazy person relies on a dashlight for intersection warning? Finally, with the introduction of the Predator II, the Predator series will once again be the best LED on the market (from all angles).

Mike
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

I have to put in a good word for the Predator too. I have a dual Predator in my truck, and people just do not seem to want to stay in front of me. :P

I've looked at it side-by-side with the Talon, and I actually think the Predator is just a hair brighter (it does have more LEDs, and the difference in intensity is slight at best)

Another thing that drew me to the Predator is their horseshoe shaped braket, which fits up around the rear view mirror base. This puts the light body mostly up behind the mirror, and makes it less of an obstruction in my sightlines.

The prescored flash shield is really nice too, although their cutting chart is a bit off, at least for the Explorer.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
jim

Post by jim »

The reasons that I didn't list the predator:

#1. It has very little penetration off to the sides compared to the LS12, TLED and Talon.

#2. It's butt effing ugly. It looks like ET's head.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

#1 My fondness for the Predator is as a forward-facing dash light, a role that it seems to fulfill admirably. I agree completely with you that it is not an intersection clearing light.

#2 I'm not sure that I see the family resembelance :P

Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

how can it be brighter than the talon when it iis not even linear leds i think those r just super bright low voltage leds not 18volt leds like the talon
freema22
Banned

Linear LEDs

Post by freema22 »

KitN1MCC wrote:how can it be brighter than the talon when it iis not even linear leds i think those r just super bright low voltage leds not 18volt leds like the talon
The Talon LEDs are not any different than any other LED's. The "linear" effect comes from a reflector. It just spreads the light out better laterally. If you look at a Talon up close, you can see the individual LEDs. According to the data sheets, the Predator LEDs are driven at a higher voltage than the Talon. That is how the Predator is brighter head on. Because the case is metal, it acts like a heatsink. That allows them to reliably drive the LEDs at higher power. Before you jump down my throat, I own both the Talon and the Predator.
jim

Post by jim »

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when all of these LEDs that are being driven at 1.5X their rated voltages burn up in a year!

Oh.....the Talon DOES cause serious noise in VHF radios as one post in the past stated.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Linear LEDs

Post by thebigphish »

freema22 wrote: According to the data sheets, the Predator LEDs are driven at a higher voltage than the Talon. That is how the Predator is brighter head on. Because the case is metal, it acts like a heatsink. That allows them to reliably drive the LEDs at higher power. Before you jump down my throat, I own both the Talon and the Predator.
jim's right (as usual), unless they have some new breed of higher voltage LEDs, they'll sizzle. your margin of error with semiconductors and out of spec voltages is MUCH smaller.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

yes the talon or the TIR leds will not turn on unless there is 18volts present.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

jedi_saber wrote:
KitN1MCC wrote:whats wrong with stations wagons.
I remember back in the day when I lived in Germany, the advanced life support was provided by physician's who drove nicely equipped BMW, Audi and Mercedes station wagons with lights and sirens... Hehehe

Gotta love the OLD school two tone sirens that run with a HI and a LO set of airhorns!!
DER KRANKWAGON!
Mike in CT

dash lights

Post by Mike in CT »

Yo Matt:

I still have a 30 year old red gumball ("Kojak" light in the war wagon.

You think maybe I am a bit behind the technology???

Hey, I plug it in (very rarely) and it goes round and round... with a little screechin grinding noise...

Mike
KM1R

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”