Cell Phone as Repeater auotpatch

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

calif dave

Cell Phone as Repeater auotpatch

Post by calif dave »

I have a remote mountian top repeater site with no dialtone available. I want to add autopatch to a repeater using an old Motorola bag phone. I remember that there was an interface unit that put out a 2-wire dialtone that would operate via a normal telephone, and control the cell phone.
Does anyone have any information on these interface units or even better have one they want to part with?

Or maybe know of a way to do this?

Thanks

Dave
d119

Post by d119 »

I had this same idea but never implemented it. Good luck getting your bag phone activated, out here, service providers won't activate any analog-only phones.

The dialtone generator is made by Motorola and it's got the model number of "Sxxxx" where xxxx is 4 digits I can't remember. Just do an eBay search for "Cellular Fax Interface" or something similar. That should yield some results.

Theres no reason it wouldn't work fine. Just plug the analog device output (phone patch) into the RJ11 connector. The patch will send the DTMF signalling to the interface, which will place the call out over the mobile phone.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

jrm5265 has/had a 3watt analog cell -> POTS device. Might want to contact him.

If you just wanted to have 911 autopatch, it's certainly a cheap way to go. 911 will work even without paying a monthly service fee.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
calif dave

Cell Phone Autopatch

Post by calif dave »

Thanks for the info everyone.

I found 2 types of interfaces,
Motorola S1936 connection interface, Connects to a 3 watt bag phone and provides dialtone.
Motorola S1765A is a connection interface built into a 3 watt bag phone.
I already have found a couple of the S1765A's and am going to use one of them.

Thanks again

Dave
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Keep in mind that (last I checked) the turn-off date for AMPS was August '05. There are interfaces available for digital phones as well... try looking for a CellSocket or similar device.
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

Dave-
I've got 6ish of "The Cellular Connection " boxes, all with different letters and model numbers. They work great. I sold one to a guy who serviced lottery machines, and needed to simulate DT or something.
I don't know if this will help you or not, but there's a guy with a company who can clone your primary phone into a bag phone for you to use so you could actually have your bagphone work (at least a little longer) I can provide, via email. He's legit.

The nice thing about the motorola ones over the Cell Socket or other ones is the power comes from the phone, no 9v or wall-wart is needed.

Tom
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”