EF Johnson Install (Jottodesk) (Pictures inside!)

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ESDA20

EF Johnson Install (Jottodesk) (Pictures inside!)

Post by ESDA20 »

So, I had this full size EF Johnson Summit to put in a JottoDesk. Unfortunately, Jottodesk only makes a faceplate for the remote mount. Thanks to some ingenuity and assistance from a good friend, we managed to get it mounted in. I think its in more secure then the Kenwoods.

Anyways. Still need to mount an antenna, and find a place to hang the mic. But, its all good.

And yes, I know the knobs are missing. They're on the way. :)

wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Nice and neat, I like it. Something like that would have worked in my Ranger too. Oh well, not going to re-do it now, but something to drool about.

Good job.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

This install last night proved the worth of having a Jotto Desk (or similar console) installed. It was easy to reposition the other radios to make room for the EF Johnson. The trick was fashioning a bracket extension for the Jotto face plate .. one he came up with the elegant solution, we were off to the races. The end product is very nice.

There are currently no light controls installed .. we tossed around the idea of cutting out some space along the top lip of the console for rocker switches. Anyone ever do this?
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

One concern I have with putting light switches on the top is the minimal clearance between the 'roof' of the console and the EF Johnson.

Of course, that little flat spot would make a nice spot for a little dual band ham rig. Mmm. Ham. Mmm.

For those who've asked, we took the standard remote mount, took wire strapping, ran it back along the radio, attached it to the mounting points on the radio. Then wire strapping was wrapped around the unit once, securing it completely. It looks horrible, but fortunately, that's all inside and no one will ever see it. :)
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Sharp ! Looks like an EFJ MultiNet Radio ?
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Yeah.

I'm still kind of torn with what to do next. I've got my Talon above the mirror, but I'm not sure if I'm going to add much more in the way of lights. I've shy'd away from wig-wags since I don't want to screw up my BCM.

Might add a GPS (tho I ponder why) or a ham gig. Or a Sirrus. Or a bobble-head. The possibilities are endless.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

ESDA20 wrote: I've shy'd away from wig-wags since I don't want to screw up my BCM.
If you use an Impala-approved Sound-off or Whelen flasher, you won't smoke the BCM. It's the people who just blindly add a flasher assuming it is correct that smoke them.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

ESDA20 wrote:Yeah.

I'm still kind of torn with what to do next. I've got my Talon above the mirror, but I'm not sure if I'm going to add much more in the way of lights. I've shy'd away from wig-wags since I don't want to screw up my BCM.

Might add a GPS (tho I ponder why) or a ham gig. Or a Sirrus. Or a bobble-head. The possibilities are endless.
Sirius? I think you meant XM :lol:
motastro1

Post by motastro1 »

Speaking of Jottodesk,can anyone give me an idea how much they are going for now? I was thinking of putting one in my vehicle. Also,don't you need to specify what radios are going in it to get the right plates to mount them in or do they come adjustable. --Thanks
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Depending on quality, condition, and specific vehicle, I've seen them go from 150 to 200 used. New ones are anywhere between 200 and 350. It all depends on the model, unit #, etc.

When you order a new JottoDesk (or replacement faceplates), they ask for your radio information. http://www.jottodesk.com has charts of what plates go with what units. If you don't see your specific faceplate, you can email their technical support folks and they'll help you find the closest fit. If you're really inventive, you can do it like I did with wirestrapping, or if you're -really- creative, you can weld and dremel apart a blank faceplate and make your own.
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Some additional pictures, since the weather is nicer and I've finished up the install and made it nice and tidy.

An overview of the console:

Right side:

Left side:

Talon above the mirror:

Power connection under the hood:

Yes, I know, the car needs to be vaccumed.
K2XM

Firewall?

Post by K2XM »

Hi,

Nice install...so where did you go thru the firewall
to get to the battery connector?

I've got an '02 Impala that is just waiting for a
more permanent radio mounting scheme.

Thanks,
Peter
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

I went through the wall through the grommet under the glove box. If I had to do it again, I'd make my own or go through the one by the rear intake manifold doohingy.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

I would avoid the grommet behind the mainfold due to the possibility of high temps. Ive seen it done and the cables were a bit " warm" I have found that if you remove the antifreeze resivoir and move it out of the way and that gives you a straight shot at the battery . What you are looking for is at the bottom of the firewall along the strut tower ther is a triangular piece of firewall inulation there. Cut that out and there is a nice flat spot to drill through. Use a small bit to find your landmark on the other side and cut the rubber mat inulation and then drill your hole. I have gotten up to a 1 1/2 hole in there witout a problem. Make sure you seal the hole with a good RTV slilcone or you may have a leak.
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

*crawls out of bed*

Or that. Since I only have the one power cable, space wasn't that big a deal. If I ever had to run strobe cables/etc, then yeah, I'd seek out another source of entry.

*offers the flu to anyone else?*

*retreats*

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”