Help !! PC Won't Read My MT1000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

id273

Help !! PC Won't Read My MT1000

Post by id273 »

Hello and Happy New Year to the trusty gang at Batlabs.

Well I have a problem thats driving me mad and I can't seem to work through it. I'm attempting to program a recently purchased 16 channel VHF MT1000 and I keep receiving a "serial bus error 001 and 003". The MT1000 seems to be TX-ing and RX-ing just fine, with the current set of frequencies...no fatal beep as of yet.

In anticipation of your questions, I have a known-good MT1000/HT600 programming cable (just used it yesterday to re-program an old HT600), Motorola RIB box with fresh battery and power supply, a "Monty" Toshiba T4700CT 486-33 laptop (God Rest His Soul), and Motorola RSS R03.01.00. The contacts on both the radio and the cable are mint !!

The PC will not read the radio at all. I then hit F9 to see whats going on. The F3 COM test gives me the "serial bus error 001" at first, then when I retry it again, it says "serial bus error 003". The COM port is properly set to COM1, so i'm at a loss as to whats going on. Any clues from the pros at BL??

Chris
RKG

Post by RKG »

"serial bus error" means that the RSS is not seeing the radio.

If you stipulate that the serial port of the PC, the PC-to-RIB cable, the RIB, and the RIB-to-radio cable are all good, and that you have pointed the RSS to the proper serial port, and that the radio is seeing good enough battery power, then I'd look at the contacts on the top of the radio or the connector to those contacts inside.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Bust out a pencil and use the eraser on the contacts. Dirty contacts will give that error.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
jim

Post by jim »

If these radios were used for years without the top cover in place, water will seep in and can damage the contact area inside of the radio. Even if the cap is one, they can still take on water if used in wet environments, such as firefighting.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Along with what jim said, if the radio was used with a speaker mic most of it's life the contacts could be broken inside the radio if it was dropped while the mic was attached.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
id273

Post by id273 »

Unreal !!! You guys have come through for me again :P I used a pencil on the doggone contacts and it worked !! I was really fooled, since the contacts on the radio appeared to be extremely clean and shiny with the naked eye. I'll never ass-ume that again !!

Thanks for the help,

Chris
k0smr

Re: Help !! PC Won't Read My MT1000 - errors 4 & 5

Post by k0smr »

I have the same problem as posted quite a while ago...

The error I get using the serial test in the 3.01.00 RSS is
Serial Bus Error 004
and
Serial Bus Error 005

I am attempting to program a VHF MT1000 (from fire service).

I first attempted to clean the contacts (as was done in the previous post) and it didn't help. I even went so far as to clean and put solder on the terminals to make sure contact was made.

I verified that the RIB is working perfectly with other radios.

What should I look for past this to get it to read and program?

Thanks!

Shawn

id273 wrote:Hello and Happy New Year to the trusty gang at Batlabs.

Well I have a problem thats driving me mad and I can't seem to work through it. I'm attempting to program a recently purchased 16 channel VHF MT1000 and I keep receiving a "serial bus error 001 and 003". The MT1000 seems to be TX-ing and RX-ing just fine, with the current set of frequencies...no fatal beep as of yet.

In anticipation of your questions, I have a known-good MT1000/HT600 programming cable (just used it yesterday to re-program an old HT600), Motorola RIB box with fresh battery and power supply, a "Monty" Toshiba T4700CT 486-33 laptop (God Rest His Soul), and Motorola RSS R03.01.00. The contacts on both the radio and the cable are mint !!

The PC will not read the radio at all. I then hit F9 to see whats going on. The F3 COM test gives me the "serial bus error 001" at first, then when I retry it again, it says "serial bus error 003". The COM port is properly set to COM1, so i'm at a loss as to whats going on. Any clues from the pros at BL??

Chris
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If you've eliminated everything else, then the problem is likely a broken internal connection. It could be where the internal flex connector attaches to the top, a ripped flex, poor solder on the controller board connector(s), or even something on the controller board itself. You'll have to open it up & trace the programming connections to see what's going on.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Will

Post by Will »

Another 'trick' is to measure the DC voltage on the programming pins of the radio's Accessory jack. With the radio on, and nothing connected to the Accy jack, the Data, pin 6, and BUSY, pin 9, lines should measure near 5 Volts ref. to GND on pin 5.

http://batlabs.enterzone.net/images/ht600cln.gif

This is the same as the programming pinout, only one connector is needed.

Pin 5 is Ground pin 1 on the RIB
Pin 6 is DATA pin 24 on the RIB
Pin 9 is BUSY pin 8 on the RIB

Jumper pins 13 or 11 to pin 4 on the DB25 female connector that goes to the RIB...away you go!
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

programming computer...what speed is it? true DOS? the older Genesis radios RSS was very sensitive to timing unlike newer RSS for say, the MTSX series. If it's faster than 133MHz you may have problems. Remember these radios and the RSS was designed when the 486 was still on the drawing board.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The newest RSS version was updated in '99/2000 and works just fine on my Celeron 1.7GHz laptop.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

If you have a smart front cover, (MDC / DTMF), try to read the radio with the cover disconnected from the controller. I have run into several that have developed a problem that causes the busy line to be pulled low and the radio won't read or write. With proper timing, you can reconnect the cover after the controller has been read and the program will continue with reading the cover.
n9wys
What radios do you own?: Too many to list! :-)

Post by n9wys »

While we're on this thread... I was trying to reprogram a 16-channel MT1000 last week for another guy.

When I read the radio, all I saw in the RSS were the first 8 memory positions. So I then added the other 8, and blew in the profile. Disconnected the radio from the RIB - worked like a charm... Except I had mis-entered a freq in one of the upper memory positions. ARRGH!

Re-read the radio - and only got the first 8 memories again. What's up with that? Had to re-enter the other 8, and worked fine after that again. Didn't take the time to re-read it after the second programming...

I have two MT1000's of my own and I've never seen this problem before. I'm using RSS RVN4017-G.
Mark - N9WYS
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Sounds like an 8ch radio that was converted to a 16ch radio and not done correctly.

Save a 16ch codeplug from another radio and blow that in, that will fix it, been there done that many times!
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
n9wys

Post by n9wys »

Hmmmm..

OK - getting the 16-channel codeplug is going to be the problem. Both of my radios are 99-channel ones.

At least I know what needs to be done. Thanks!
Mark - N9WYS
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I probably still have some 16ch codeplugs backed up, if not it should be easy enough to get one from somebody else here on the board. I redid some stuff on my RSS computer and deleted a lot of old files.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

n9wys

Post by n9wys »

Watch for off-list reply... TNX
Mark - N9WYS
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Received and replied to.

Also a note to others, you can also change the radios model number, change the eighth digit from the number 8 to a number 0 and then program the radios id. Read the radio again and it will be recognized as 16ch radio, edit the channel data and write to the radio, and from now on the RSS treats it as a factory 16ch radio as well.

Blowing in the codeplug is a one step process to do the same thing, effectively change the model number of the radio. But it will also over-write everything, so remember to give the radio a full bench check after doing so or record all values in the service menu first.

Return to “Radio Programming”