900 MHz repeater in the Silicon Valley

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kj6vu

900 MHz repeater in the Silicon Valley

Post by kj6vu »

I will be putting up a 900 MHz repeater in the San Jose / Silicon Valley area in the next few months. If there are any locals interested please drop me an email and I will fill you in on the details as the system goes live.
'73 George KJ6VU
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I'm doing a casual survey. What will your TX/RX offset be?

The current ARRL "bandplan" calls for 12 MHz splits, but that was conceived way before everyone got on the band-wagon. I'm considering putting one up with a 25 MHz split, which is what the majority of the machines seem to be using, but our local coordinating body is sticking with the ARRL's plan for now, doling out frequencies to just one group that's trying to link every city in the state, and dismissing anything that doesn't follow the "standard", such as it is.

Bob M.
kd6kml

Post by kd6kml »

George,

How high is your site??? I'm in the north bay, but go to the top of Mt. St. Helena every few weeks. Maybe I could hit it from here.

Look on NARCC for my repeaters, call is K6ZRX. One is at 2300' and the other at 4200'.

Glad to hear someone is working with 900 in this area. There doesn't seem to be too much interest around here for some reason.

PM is you want tech info on my systems
Josh
kj6vu

Post by kj6vu »

Bob: Here in No Cal, we use 25 MHz splits which works great as far as equipment is concerned. I have had no problems converting a pile of Maxtracs and lately some GTX HTs. While I am a card carrying member of the ARRL, the are completely clueless when it comes to VHF/UHF frequency coordination / band planning issues. I think most of the civilized world is using 902/927. I know in the north east they are moving the old systems off the odd splits and onto the 902/927 frequencies.
I respect the local coordinator but maybe they can be enlightened :-)

Josh: Thanks alot for your post. The repeater will go up at about 2800' above Palo Alto. I hope to get it installed in the next month or two. I am planning on running it on 927.850 pl 100.0. Of course the frequency and tone are subject to making sure there is no interference. It would be great to increase the activity level.

'73 de George KJ6VU
kj6vu

Post by kj6vu »

Josh: I would really like more details on your system. Do you have a web site or some pics? BTW, I talked with a guy on 146.52 a few weeks ago named Dan (don't remember the call) and he said he was working with some in your area putting up some 927 gear and you call sounds familiar. Maybe you know who I am talking about.
George
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

George: I agree with you about the ARRL. They've been in the dark about anything above 30 MHz since the early 1970s, which is most likely the reason I'm NOT a member. Sooner or later the coordinators here will have to adjust to the ways of the rest of the world, with or without ARRL's blessing.

What's to convert on a GTX portable? They just work after you modify the software to allow them to be programmed from 896-941 MHz. Nothing to change on the radio itself, same with mobiles. I have a few of each. Now MaxTracs, that's another story.

Bob M.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”