Astro Saber that powers off then on again

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dvpman

Astro Saber that powers off then on again

Post by dvpman »

I have a astro saber 3 VHF that turns on just fine then after a few seconds powers off then back up again. It also will power off then the green led will light and that's it

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Any help would be great.

Mike
dvpman

Post by dvpman »

Thanks Shaun,

That was the first thing I tried.

Sometimes it will stay on for 5 minutes with no problems then it stuffed.

Mike
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

Check your battery connection. If it dosen't make good contact the radio will turn on and off. That's what was happening to my Astro Saber.

Dan..
dvpman

Post by dvpman »

I have swapped the housing with a brand new one, still the same problem.

Mike
k101

Post by k101 »

I have had this Problem with a Jedi radio Some one Programmed out of band because the radio Was
CPS (Windows Rss) the radio has smarts so it will switch on and off is the Astro CPS or Dos?
k101

Post by k101 »

I have had this Problem with a Jedi radio Some one Programmed out of band because the radio Was
CPS (Windows Rss) the radio has smarts so it will switch on and off is the Astro CPS or Dos?
k101

Post by k101 »

dvpman

Post by dvpman »

I have used dos versions 8 and 9.01 both with the same results.

Mike
k101

Post by k101 »

Ok I think the Micro-Control Unit (MCU) or the SRAM is the Problem
You may need to get a Astro Saber Detailed Service Manual The part Number is 68P81076C10-0 to Try to Fix the Problem

All the best to you & your Astro
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

If you need to get into the detailed service manual, and you are not equipped to handle surface mount components and have some experience doing it, or are not proficient with troubleshooting mostly digital circuits, don't waste your time on buying the manual.

Instead, get with the local Motorola authorized service center and have them submit your radio to the depot for the flat rate 330 dollar repair charge. The shop will also probably charge a handling fee.

This would be your best bet.

The depot will replace all worn and damaged parts, too, usually. I sent in a dead radio in good physical condition and they replaced the housing and all three circuit boards in the radio for the flat rate fee. That was a bargain.

Elroy
ScannerDan

Depo Repair

Post by ScannerDan »

If you were to send an Astro Saber to depo for repair and they replaced all three of the boards would they replace them w/the new IMBE boards or the older VSLEP ? I guess what I'm asking is would this be a way to get a cheap upgrade ? Dumb Question for I think I know the answere NO NO and NO ....

Dan...
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

If they replace the vocon board, it will be with a new 1 meg version, so that's probably an automatic upgrade right there.

If they can recover the radio's current flashcode, and it's not a flashcode that has "issues" surrounding it, that flashcode will be in the radio after repair, and the firmware will probably be updated to the newest version that is compatible with your flashcode.

If they can't recover enough information to be sure, you'll probably get a basic flashcode and firmware with the latest IMBE revisions.

Elroy
dvpman

Post by dvpman »

Thanks for the tip Elroy.

I have heard of this before but didn't think they would be that generous.
My flashcode is 581008-0C1800-8
do you think this would raise any questions ??

Mike
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

No idea. I know for sure that only the old LAPD flashcode has such issues, but even then...that feature set is no longer used even by the LAPD so there shouldn't be an issue with even that one anymore.

Elroy
Motofanatic

No you won't get a upgrade

Post by Motofanatic »

Don't be silly. The depot isn't that stupid. You can try and give them an IMBE enabled flashcode with your paperwork and radio, but if your Vocon never had the correct Host/DSP for IMBE, they won't give it to you.

We've had the depot work on over a dozen Astro HTs. As Elroy says, it is a bargain and they will practically replace anything that is worn out. You'll even get a 1Meg Vocon.

But if your Vocon (busted or not) came in with VSELP Host/DSP, that is how it will come back to you.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

UNLESS THEY CAN (AND DO) RECOVER THE DATA FROM THE CHIPSET, they can't tell if a vocon board is VSELP or IMBE.
They LOOK identical.

Generally, most Astro customers who deal with the depot have an account and it's no problem to verify what was in the damaged radio. It's radios in private hands (or from the used market) that are a bit more of a question mark. If you send in a totally dead radio and there's no data accompanying it to determine if it was VSELP or IMBE, and they can't recover the data, you're likely to receive a basic feature set but it'll probably have the latest firmware revision, making it IMBE CAPABLE. Emphasis on CAPABLE. The relevant flash options may not be turned on, and probably won't be.

Elroy
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

It is definetly the RF-Board I can fix it no-problem! I have had a number of users with this problem if you are using a 512k board I can replace the board with a new one but not cheap.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”