Micor Model Number

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

900SMR

Micor Model Number

Post by 900SMR »

Can someone give the model number on a Micor 900 MHz station? Will settle for model number for a mobile. Friend needs a manual, need model numbers to order manual.
Thanks.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Re: Micor Model Number

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

900SMR wrote:Can someone give the model number on a Micor 900 MHz station? Will settle for model number for a mobile. Friend needs a manual, need model numbers to order manual.
Thanks.
How many watts is the station?

It's 900, right.

Is it PL?

Is it DPL?

How many channels (rx and tx)?

I can figure one out for you. :)
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
Will

Post by Will »

Most all stations and repeaters in 900 mhz were MSF5000 radios, not Micors.
900SMR

900 MHz Micor

Post by 900SMR »

Jonathan,
It's a wierd deal. The guy sent me a manual I needed and he gave me the task of getting a manual on a 900 MHz Micor for him. So far I've not even been able to confirm that Motorola ever made a 900 MHz Micor.Guess you could send me a model number based on Motorola's standard model number configuration and I could try and order a manual. Let's assume it's a mobile instead, DPL, doubt if it would be high wattage (guess 35-50 watts). Let me know what you get.
Thanks.
Bob
Will

Post by Will »

900 mobiles have a max power of thirty-five watts, most were 12 or 30 watts. The mobiles that I know of are Spectra, Maxtrac/Radius. They made a 800 Micor and Mitrek, plus Spectra, Maxtrac, Radius, and the Syntor, SyntorX, and X9000.
If the guy has a model number we may be able to figure out what radio it is.
900SMR

900 MHz Micor

Post by 900SMR »

Will,
Like I said, it was a wierd deal. The guy hopes to take the narrow band IF boards out of some 900 MHz mobiles and put them in UHF Micor stations to "narrowband" them for 12.5 kHz channel spacing. He said he had some 900 MHz Micor mobiles buried somewhere around his shop but never got him to give me a model number. My task is thus to find a model number on a "typical" 900 MHz Micor and order a manual for it. I'm sure he has the manual for the UHF stations that he intends to "operate" on.
My best guess is that they don't have the same IF frequency and even if they did, there would be other things he'll have to do to make it work. But ya never now if you don't look into it.
Any help on the model, manual p/n, or manual would be appreciated.
Bob
chpalmer
What radios do you own?: Astro Specta, MT1500, HT1550LS

Yes there is

Post by chpalmer »

I can't tell you much more than yes they were made and that some were used as paging transmitters. I helped pull one out of service a few years back. Actually had the manual left in the building on site. Chris P
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Micor 900 mhz

Post by Andy Brinkley »

I'm guessing that you have a 900 mhz PURC station. Find the model # and call Parts ID. I don't show a Micor Base station in anything above 800 mhz. The model for an 800 mhz Micor would be a C_5RCB, with the _ determining the RF power

Some of the Purc manuals might be :

68-81061E95 C35JZB1106 928 -960 mhz transmitter
68-81063E26 Micor 900 MHZ receiver RF & IF Board
Andy / NC4AB
Will

Post by Will »

The crystal filters and the retrofit instructions for Micor receivers can be obtained from Communications Speciallists.
http://www.com-spec.com

Tell them Will sent you.
900SMR

Post by 900SMR »

Thanks for all the help, guys, but I really wonder if I was just sent on a wild goose chase. I've probably had a dozen replies from this group and others and so far nobody has given me any indication that Motorola ever made a 900 MHz Micor.
I even looked in some old Motorola sales catalogs of the early '90's and there was no 900 Micor mobile or station. The Micor was probably being phased out and it would have been pointless to introduce it to one of the developing bands.
And Will, you may be right about just going to Com Spec. Is Spence Porter still the owner? We've got a lot of his early model CTCSS boards around, used to buy a ton of them for the GE MASTR Pro and MASTR II community repeaters. Heck of a lot cheaper (and more reliable) than the factory boards. Matter of fact, used them in a bunch of Regency low power UHF community repeaters and the Regency mobiles.
We never got much into Motorola, have sold practically every other brand of land mobile stuff.
Bob
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I think you question has been answered but you may not realize it. Let me
help clear the air. There was a 900 Mhz PURC (paging transmitter) built from Micor style hardware. The PURC uses a different control shelf. See Andy's post for some numbers. Most of the PURC stations I have seen(not that many) had no reciever in them.

Chris
ARZ902

Post by ARZ902 »

I can't give you any numbers on the receiver, but I have one, it was used in a store and forward pager system.(for use in areas that the main transmitter would not work)

It received the pager signal on 929.6125 Mhz, demodulated it and saved it. Then the data was remodulated and sent out to its own transmitter on the same frequency.

The receiver reprograms in the 900 Mhz HAM band easly.
Don't have the transmitter.
It is diffently a mobile MICOR type hardware.
If it helps, the channel element number is KXN1029A.

Dennis
900SMR

900 MHz Micor Receiver

Post by 900SMR »

Well, I learn a little more each day about Motorola's smorgasboard of products that they've made over the years. I'm passing the info along to my buddy that is the one who started my search. Again, thanks for the continued interest.
Bob
Will

Post by Will »

Spence should still be there, I knew him when he was still on the fire dept., and bought a LB HT200 from him. I saw him last in person in '94. I, too, used hundreds of Comm-Spec's tone boards and rptr panels.
I have to dig up all those Spence boards for a friend's Regency rptr, now where did I put them? We put M38's on all the Regency rptrs in the early 90's. Made them sound just like a MSY!
900SMR

Post by 900SMR »

And I'll just bet the customers never knew the difference between the Regency repeaters and the MSY's.
I thought the days of UHF were long past but having gone from VHF to UHF to 800 to 900 and now coming back to UHF trunking has been a real trip that shows how a wrong a fella can be.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”