Problem of programming of System Saber

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

likimkim
No Longer Registered

Problem of programming of System Saber

Post by likimkim »

Hello here!!

I am fresh in System Saber and now I got a great problem. I bought a radio from eBay and I want to programme it. I find that there is no more Tx or Rx and have a "Dup........." sound when I push the PTT. It can Tx and Rx before but have "Chrip Chrip" low battery sound even I use a new chargered battery to it. So I try to programme but finially failure. What's wrong?
Where I did wrong??

Please help~~~

William
VR2WTF
Rick Rock

Re: Problem of programming of System Saber

Post by Rick Rock »

likimkim wrote:I bought a radio from eBay
There's the problem! (Hopefully not, anyway!)
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Just start over with a new codeplug. You can create one from scratch.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

RESCUE161 wrote:Just start over with a new codeplug. You can create one from scratch.
What he said. There's so many Securenet and signalling options that a new codeplug really is the way to go.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Systems Saber...

Post by AEC »

Follow the leader, create a new codeplug and do NOT use more options than you require, keep the secure options disabled if not necessary as your TX to RX response time will be shortened, also check your scan options to be certain you have at least two or more selected to scan, or the RSS will kick it back to you as a repair before it will program.

Use only what you need, keep the remainder disabled, easiest way to avoid problems.

But as others have stated, your BEST bet is to start fresh with a new codeplug and go from there.

Do not enable any trunking features unless you have the system key to program any trunked channels.

Stay away from SS&L and the TMSS switch, those are not used on conventional systems.

Assigning side button functions, just set the conventional ones and leave the trunked side alone, there will be one default setting for the PTT, leave the others blank, you'll be ahead of the game.

You can assign T/A to the keypad ONLY if you do NOT assign it to one of the side buttons, you can't have two T/A buttons assigned for one function.

You can set the radio to autoscan, but then you will not be able to use the keypad to scan, again, more than one function is not allowed here as well.

I'd reset the low battery alerts for TX and RX, they are too high, they will show low battery befoe the battery is depleted, I set the RX alert to 30, and the TX alert to 50, that way I get full battery usage, and when it is dead, it IS dead.

Some may not agree with this, but I like to take my batteries down so they get a proper full charge and never fail due to NiCd memory effect.

Enterprize.....One to beam up!
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

the radio can Tx and Rx b4 but when I try to rprogramme it, then failure. I had created a new radio file and then programme the new codeplug into it. But when I finish the programme, I turn on the radio and try to push the PTT, there is no Tx and Rx anymore and have "Dup..........." sound. I saw the radio before show "Con 5-0". What does it mean? I am using the RSS of ver. 4.0.1. Is it too old version?
Osprey
What radios do you own?: Various Sabers

Post by Osprey »

You're using Systems Saber RSS not regular Saber RSS, right?
williamh

Post by williamh »

stop right there !!!!!

did your read the radio before you started ???

what is the band split that the radio started and what did you try to program into it ???

have you taken the radio apart to see what band split it is .???

are you using the correct software ???

operating system ??? dos ????

a little more info is needed
Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Thanks all here!
I think that I had select the band split that the radio cannot support as it is range from around 150~170 MHz. Now I find that the radio can Tx and Rx again. However, the HaM band in HK is 144~146 MHz, I heard that there is another software which can programme the frequency which is out of band. Could anybody tell me what's the programme name?
And thanks AEC that I lower the thresthold of the battery alert so now it doesn't give out sound when I push the PTT.

VR2WTF
William
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

You can only go that far out of band if you change out the modules. No software is going to help.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

When the radio arrived, it can transmits the HK Ham band (144~146), however, the seller seems not know much about the setting.
So I got a RSS (Ver.4.0.2)from my fd and try to lower the threshold of the battery alert. Then I saw the channel frequenies showing "??????" and then I cannot save or programme the radio anymore.
I don't know how the seller can program the middle band System Saber into 144~146 and I think that there is a method which can program the radio out of band more than 1MHz. So anyone can help me?

73 de VR2WTF
William
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

You have to modify the bandsplit in the RSS with a hexeditor.

Andreas
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Hello Andreas,

How to modify it thought Hexeditor?
As I change the radio into 136~150 then the radio doesn't give out Tx and Rx until I choose back 146~162 then it works again?
So I want to know how the seller can programme the frequencies which I want with problem?
He said he also use RSS to program it but why I am faliure?

Thank!!

VR2WTF
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Your radio's band split is obviously 146-162, there are certain limits the radio's modules will work with, outside of that, you'll get error tones and loss of TX and RX.

Since you reprogrammed the correct split back in to the radio and it works, you may wan to find the next lower module numbers to get down into your band of choice.

Look under U4, there is a filter inside that module, two gold tabs release it from the carrier and you will see a red rubber pad, below is the filter's number which indicates band split, probably NFD6092A, you'll need NFD6091A to get to 136-150 range.

The 2-pole filter and filter/detector/switch will also need to be chaged as well, to the correct split in order for the radio to work properly, it's after 3 AM here in AZ, and I don't have the lights on to search at this moment, but those are the main items you will have to swap for proper operation, and also the PA, which would be the NLD8122a/NLD8773A(updated) part numbers, you might get away with using a higher split PA, but be careful if if you have the key down for too long a time, they do tend to oscillate and burn up when run too far out of the intended band split.

A few Mhz. should not matter, but never more than 5 to be on the safe side.

You might also have to swap the synthesizer module as well, they too, do not like to work outside of their normal range.

And NEVER program any Saber to MAX, that's just asking for trouble!
Keep the softpot setting to something like 73 and power bias to high, other settings for low, Sp1 and SP2 can be set with a low power bias to conserve battery power.

Enable battery saver and drop the minimum battery level detector down as well...this always gives a false reading to cause the display/LED to flash long before the battery is actually dead.

I set mine to RX of 30 and TX of 50, and have never had battery failure, and most of my packs are from 1999, and still hold a great charge with careful use and cycling you should get 5+ years of normal use from every pack of good manufacture.

Systems Sabers are neat that you can select RX and TX battery level warnings, with regular Sabers you get just one setting in the service menu.

Enterprize.....One to beam up!
towfire75

computer setting problem

Post by towfire75 »

i have an older toshiba laptop. the error i keep getting when i go to read any radio is serial bus error time out. how do i fix this. detailed help w*ould come in handy. thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out.
towfire75

computer setting problem

Post by towfire75 »

i have an older toshiba laptop. the error i keep getting when i go to read any radio is serial bus error time out. how do i fix this. detailed help would come in handy. thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out.
camcam990

computer setting problem

Post by camcam990 »

Hello, What com port are you using????? the RSS software might need to be set to com port 1. ALso is your battery fully charged??? a battery that is low will give you this error. In the RSS one of the first screens should point to computer settings, go to that page and check your com port setting and set it to com port-1. also check all of your connections between the radio and computer and rib box. Make sure you are using the correct cable that goes from the computer and rib box. And finally are you is real DOS when trying this?? as has been said before you must be in DOS mode and not a DOS WINDOW.

Return to “Radio Programming”