911EP - LS12 LED Light Stick Low Profile

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Screwed

911EP - LS12 LED Light Stick Low Profile

Post by Screwed »

anyone try this unit? how do you like it? and any pics?

going to rear deck mount it with int brackets
rdkl

Post by rdkl »

I love them. They are a great low profile light. I have the hard wire version mounted in the rear window of my Tahoe. Works great even through the tint.
GMC

Post by GMC »

Hello,

Have the blue version in my front window behind the mirror. Love the light very bright great flash pattens. Will be getting the 28" version for my new tahoe.
gary
mottyk

Post by mottyk »

I have the LS12 in my front window and it looks great and mooves traffic. I have it in split R/B. I keep it on the "knightrider" pattern.
sig goes here PM if you have any ideas
rdkl

Post by rdkl »

I've got a td39 attached to the rear luggage rack bar on my Tahoe. it sits just off of the roof. Nobody notices it untill its on.
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Although most of my LED stuff (G-ride and POV) is Whelen, I used to have a TD and WL28 behind a tinted rear window and on a work car, 2 WL28's mounted underneath the roofracks to front and back.

They are great directional lights, but it makes a world of a difference to utilize flashpatterns that have more "ON-time" for better visibility (as opposed to the knightrider pattern - looks cool, but really hasn't worked for me).

If you at all have the option to mount outside or put behind non-tint glass, this is excellent.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Tint won't matter on the latest generation of the 911 stuff, I have seen the prototypes of the TD28 and LS12..... bring your sunglasses.

SG
ten8

Post by ten8 »

i have a red ls-12 and an amber td-28 in the rear window of my pov. works thru the tint great.
mmtstc
What radios do you own?: HT1250, MCS2000, Spectra A4

Post by mmtstc »

isnt the need for sunglasses pretty consistent across the 911ep board?
Paramedic / Dispatcher
Minneapolis / Rochester
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Some of the old stuff was pretty lame, the new generation of LS12, TD/WL 28/39 is outstanding, too bad it is just in the early stages of development.

It's sad that the company that started LED technology in cars as emergency equipment, is the last to come out with a nice product.

SG
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

911ep makes a great product, but if you want to get any of their products you better hurry up and get them. I work at an install company that was dealing as a 911ep dealer, but we are going to have to drop them because they are raising their prices a LOT. not just our prices, prices to all of their dealers in an effort to make a little more money. Just an FYI.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

But if you buy now, you will get the last generation product, new prices, new generation of product, your paying for R&D.

SG
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Oh Yeah, I have lots of 911EP product installed. It is great. I have a Galaxy Lightbar, a WL28 in the windshield, a WL39 in the back window, a TD39 on the Tailgate, and a total of 10 LED Stars around the exterior of the truck.
John
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

SafetyLighting wrote:Oh Yeah, I have lots of 911EP product installed. It is great. I have a Galaxy Lightbar, a WL28 in the windshield, a WL39 in the back window, a TD39 on the Tailgate, and a total of 10 LED Stars around the exterior of the truck.
Wow thats ALOT of money there. I like the products but there prices hurt!
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

NCSHP311 wrote:
SafetyLighting wrote:Oh Yeah, I have lots of 911EP product installed. It is great. I have a Galaxy Lightbar, a WL28 in the windshield, a WL39 in the back window, a TD39 on the Tailgate, and a total of 10 LED Stars around the exterior of the truck.
Wow thats ALOT of money there. I like the products but there prices hurt!
You get what you pay for. Just did a car, wl 28 in the grill, 1 LS12 in the windshield, 3 LS12's in the rear deck, TD39 in rear deck, Galaxy bar & 10 LED stars. Looks good, taste's great, less filling.

SG
Last edited by spectragod on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Spectra is right
John
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

I wanted some 911 stuff but if I do that I'll have to do it in different stages not all at once.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

No problem with that. Wiring is the low cost part. So plan, wire and then add the lights when you can. Brand new 911EP product will be out soon.
John
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

I have all the new 911EP products available if anyone is interested.
jhook

Post by jhook »

aren't they have a few problem's with some of there lightbar's bursting into flame's?
BAT9228
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

There was one widely publicized incident on the internet that I'm aware of. My undestanding is that the flasher unit overheated and melted. There was some mention that it was installed incorrectly. In any event, 911EP completely repaired the lightbar free of charge.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
Nextel National Direct Connect 164*71*315
http://www.EmergencyVehicleSolutions.com
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

too bad 911EP hasn't put out / or plans to put out green LED stars.
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

This is true. Their market analysis showed there was not enough market share to make it worth their while. They tried it for a while with the 360 Star, but did not sell enough of them to expand the line. I rarely sell green, but when I have an inquiry, the Sound Off Signal products fill the billet nicely.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

rcpd34 wrote:There was one widely publicized incident on the internet that I'm aware of. My undestanding is that the flasher unit overheated and melted. There was some mention that it was installed incorrectly. In any event, 911EP completely repaired the lightbar free of charge.
I am sure that the factory tried to blame the end user for the incorrect installation, they are more about damage control than actual problem solving.

They should have repaired the bar for free, they are obligated to that, as it has a 5 year warranty, but, true to form, they will try and find a way to avoid warranty coverage.

There is more than one incident, one department lost a car completly, due to fire, if it would have had a Millenium bar, it would have just had water damage, as most of those leak like the Titanic.

Bottom line, 911EP has pi$$poor customer service and a product to match.

SG
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

spectragod wrote:
rcpd34 wrote:There was one widely publicized incident on the internet that I'm aware of. My undestanding is that the flasher unit overheated and melted. There was some mention that it was installed incorrectly. In any event, 911EP completely repaired the lightbar free of charge.
I am sure that the factory tried to blame the end user for the incorrect installation, they are more about damage control than actual problem solving.

They should have repaired the bar for free, they are obligated to that, as it has a 5 year warranty, but, true to form, they will try and find a way to avoid warranty coverage.

There is more than one incident, one department lost a car completly, due to fire, if it would have had a Millenium bar, it would have just had water damage, as most of those leak like the Titanic.

SG
You obviously have an axe to grind. What is the name of your company out of curiosity? You said you were a dealer previously. As I said, they covered the bar. I would be interested in hearing more about the agency that lost a car to fire; I haven't heard that one. Their product has dramatically improved over the past year as has their customer service.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Yes SpectraGod, let's here the reasoning behind your statements.
John
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

rcpd34 wrote:
spectragod wrote:

SG
You obviously have an axe to grind. What is the name of your company out of curiosity? You said you were a dealer previously. As I said, they covered the bar. I would be interested in hearing more about the agency that lost a car to fire; I haven't heard that one. Their product has dramatically improved over the past year as has their customer service.
I have no axe to grind, just made a statement. Yes, they covered the bar, do you know what caused the flasher unit to burst into flames?? I know what they are saying it was, but the company's reasoning sounds like a smoke and mirror trick.

If you think the customer service is good now, you should have seen what it was like 2-3 years ago. Granted, it is better than it was.

The product is not bad totally, it needs to be refined before it is sold, instead of the customer winding up with a POS that puts a vehicle down. Then,............ they come up with a fix, but first, the factory will point the finger at everyone who was ever involved with the car, but they will fix the bar, and then tell you what a great service they have done for you and how that they went above and beyond what any other manufacturer would have done.

911EP was the originator of the LED lightbar, and as such, they should be miles past everyone else's product, do you think that is the case?

Keep in mind, dollar for dollar, there are competively priced products that perform as well if not better for the same or less money. At this point, I will stick with my opinion as to the products durabilty and performance. Of course, if these lights are only mounted on the inside of a vehicle, you should never have an issue.

SG
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

SafetyLighting wrote:Yes SpectraGod, let's here the reasoning behind your statements.
You would need to go no further for the answers than to ask someone who uses the product, or has stopped using their product. I have heard the same stories from pretty much everyone.

SG
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

You're really not answering the questions; just making blanket personal opinions. You say pretty much everyone is saying what you are and if that were the case, they would be out of business, when in reality they are selling more lights than ever before. If you have some real facts, I'd like to hear them. Feel free to e-mail me off the forum.

Regards,

Brian
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
compuman81

Post by compuman81 »

spectragod's word is enough for me, especially since he's in the public safety business and has been working with companies like whelen, federal, and 911ep for quite some time.

i install the newer 911ep gear all the time in vehicles, and its really nice, but if you were to rank the various different public safety lighting equipment manufacturers, who would be at the top? certainly not 911..
have you ever called customer service? ask anyone that has and see how many grey hairs they got trying to get a problem with 911 gear fixed.

and for a company that's doing this bad ( i say bad because they've been in the business over 10 years), I certainly don't believe they'll admit any design mistakes or problems with the manufacturing process, that's the last thing they'll do...however to satisfy the users encountering problems and keep them from badmouthing the gear, they better at least fix stuff thats under warranty.
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

I don't take anyones word for anything if I know better. He does raise some points, but by merely making negative comments w/o backing them up with facts does no good. Even when pressed for details, none are given. I don't have a problem with him, or anyone else here, but he made some pretty strong statements and it's only fair that he back them up with fact when asked. 911EP certainly has issues. No one said anything contrary. All mfg's do. I've has CS probs with Whelen, Federal etc. I had a defective Talon that I could not get Whelen to fix and some power supply issues with Federal. Don't even get me started on the MasterCom siren warranty repair problem with Code 3. Believe it or not, but Sho-Me/Able2 has the best CS in the business in my experience.

Every company must decide what is a warranty issue and what is not. Dump a Coke on a Spectra and then ask Motorola to repair it. Good luck. Same is true for emergency equipment. I think 911EP has done a pretty fair job on warranty items and I know, for a fact, dozens of warranty claims that were caused soley by the end user opening up the product to change colors and then putting them together wrong that were honored by 911EP. This is the primary reason the new products don't allow you to change colors.

As for being at the top of the public safety line? Absolutely. The Galaxy has the best off-axis visibility of any LED bar currently on the market. The LED Star is a great light; why do you think Whelen copied it so closely? The Traffic Directors were the first to NOT require a switch box. I could go on. They don't beat every mfgin every category, but they certainly have a niche. BTW, I do offer other product lines and will defend those too when attacked without cause.
Last edited by rcpd34 on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

This is the primary reason the new products don't allow you to change colors.
Wait, you mean the new products (Galaxy, WL24/36, etc.) can't be disassembled to swap new LED modules in of different color? That's reason right there to avoid 911EP products. I've never seen Whelen or FedSig say you couldn't change colors.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

tvsjr wrote:
Wait, you mean the new products (Galaxy, WL24/36, etc.) can't be disassembled to swap new LED modules in of different color? That's reason right there to avoid 911EP products. I've never seen Whelen or FedSig say you couldn't change colors.
That is correct, you cannot dis-assemble them, you can change a lens, and that is it.

As far as backing up my statements, I cannot go into more detail at this time, litigation is almost immenent.

SG
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

spectragod wrote:
tvsjr wrote:
That is correct, you cannot dis-assemble them, you can change a lens, and that is it.

As far as backing up my statements, I cannot go into more detail at this time, litigation is almost immenent.

SG
Actually, you are wrong. Lens replacement on any new 911EP stick product is not replaceable or is it necesary. It is a sealed unit with the LED diode. On the Galaxy, the modules are easily replaceable. The stick products, are not, like on any other LED product. You cannot change the color on a Talon or Barricuda LED either. 911EP was the only mfg to offer field color changes on LED products.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

rcpd34 wrote:
spectragod wrote:
tvsjr wrote: Wait, you mean the new products (Galaxy, WL24/36, etc.) can't be disassembled to swap new LED modules in of different color? That's reason right there to avoid 911EP products. I've never seen Whelen or FedSig say you couldn't change colors.

SG
Actually, you are wrong. Lens replacement on any new 911EP stick product is not replaceable or is it necesary. It is a sealed unit with the LED diode. On the Galaxy, the modules are easily replaceable. The stick products, are not, like on any other LED product. You cannot change the color on a Talon or Barricuda LED either. 911EP was the only mfg to offer field color changes on LED products.

Actually, I am not incorrect, as per the manufacturer, the new stick product that will be coming out, the lens assembly will be replaceable, should one become damaged. At least, that was their reasoning for it.

SG
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

Actually, you are incorrect. The new stick product is out; I have quite a bit of it in stock. I am also one of the few Authorized Service Centers in the country so I have a better knowledge than most of the product. The lenses are not user or even ASC servicable. They must be returned to the factory. You are apparently out of touch with the current 911EP product. Perhaps this is the reason you are so negative towards them.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

I quoted what a regional manager told me(this week none the less), he must not know what he is talking about.

Maybe I have a bad attitude due to incorrect info?? :roll: :roll: :roll:

SG
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Of course you can change colors in a Talon. You have to replace the module, sure... but you seem to indicate that the sticks are completely sealed and you can't change the modules at all.

Regardless, I've had extremely good luck out of Whelen product. Why change?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

For a nice thread about the 911ep customer service fiasco, read here:

Blown up 911ep

I believe the police chief involved in this even ended up posting.

Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

spectragod wrote:I quoted what a regional manager told me(this week none the less), he must not know what he is talking about.

SG
Please advise who the regional manger is. The above article is the one I mentioned previously that was completely repaired by 911EP.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I don't see any mention in the article that 911 covered the cost of repairing the police car.
rcpd34

Post by rcpd34 »

escomm wrote:I don't see any mention in the article that 911 covered the cost of repairing the police car.
It's an old article article that does not provide any conclusion at all. I don't know if they covered that or not.
Brian Paul
Freestate Services, LLC
P.O. Box 1515
Rockville MD 20849
301-963-5880
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Once again, check your facts. The article/issue you are referring to is from Gary Smith, the chief of the Northfield Minnesota Police Department. It happened during the move of 911EP to Florida which was a bad time for everyone involved in 911EP. The bar was repaired, and there WAS NOT any damage to the cruiser. You can read the entire article here:

http://www.garygsmith.net/2006_05_01_archive.html

I interacted with the chief about this incident when it happened and put him in touch with the proper people to resolve the issue. To the best of my knowledge he is satiosfied with the results and they continue to buy and use the Galaxy lightbars.
John
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

It was the runaround that they got that really got them worked up...and Gary Smith wasn't the only one who experienced the problem and the lack of service.

Yes the bar got fixed, but it definately wasn't in a timely fashion.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
OfficerKM

TD28 Mounting Brackets

Post by OfficerKM »

Hi All.

I own a TD28 customized with all blue and a white on each end. SUPER BRIGHT!. I understand that the mounting options on 911ep's web site are discontinued. Anyone know any dealers who still have any in stock?
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

what are you looking for?
John
LIGHTS R US

911ep

Post by LIGHTS R US »

i am a dealer for 911ep if you need any lights hit me up.

lightsrus911ep@yahoo.com

or

845-597-3392 ask for gary
gary.smith

Post by gary.smith »

rcpd34 wrote:
spectragod wrote:I quoted what a regional manager told me(this week none the less), he must not know what he is talking about.

SG
Please advise who the regional manger is. The above article is the one I mentioned previously that was completely repaired by 911EP.
I'm the chief you mentioned and I don't believe you ever checked with me about the status of our conditon. They paid for the replacement of certain modules of the lightbar and paid a repair service to fix it. The three other bars that have malfunctioned or failed they did NOT pay all the costs of repair. We got the parts and had our installer fix them as that was the only way to get them repaired. We used one bar for parts as I'll not be buying anything other than Federal for a while. Their customer service still sucks. Based on the 50 or so testimonials why installers will no longer be selling 911 EP products, I think you are in the minority.

I just gave up posting updates. I'm not going to give them any more publicity. Just for the record....there was nothing wrong with the installation. I'm tired of that lame old excuse. We use one of the best installers in the region and never NEVER have any problems with the quality of their work EVER.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Chief Smith, My apologies. I thought that after I communicated with you, everything had been taken care of. I obviously misunderstood and I sincerely apologize for that. If there is anything I can do please contact me.
John
2wayguy
Batboard $upporter

911EP

Post by 2wayguy »

So any of you guys that blasted spectragod gonna apologize? I know for a fact he is a standup guy and would not have posted BS. Looks like he was right!

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”