intersection light ideas

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lunzac
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XPR6550, XPR7550

intersection light ideas

Post by lunzac »

i have an 2000 f150 without a push bumber and just wondering if anybody has ideas for intersection warning lights. i already have strobe tubes in the front turn signals, fog lights, and headlights... just wondering if there is are any other/ better intersection light ideas without mounting on the sides of push bumpers. i would be most interested in using LEDs... possibly the sho me hyperbrite trios.

thanks

-zach
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

Surface mount LEDs on the fenders! Drill all kinds o' holes in that bad boy!!

Depending on the kind of mirror caps you have, a much more feasable and less costly to pu tback to factory would be some surface mount (like TIR 6) LEDs on the mirror caps.

Anyway, thats my .02 .

Kinda tough to do intersection warning if you dont want to put holes elsewhere. If your truck is an extended cab, you can use LEDs on the inside of the rear windows, facing out and that will help some too.
You can only buy so many bags of lime before people begin asking questions...
philter

Post by philter »

I just did this on a 06 Explorer. You can't do hide-a-ways in the turn signals, and they had the 700 and 400 series LEDs from a previous vehicle. I like the 700s, but not really too keen on the 400s.
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

Have any more pics of that explorer? That's sexy!
philter

Post by philter »

Another one of those departments that still believes that they had to have strobes. The bar is half red, half blue.
n8xfj

nice

Post by n8xfj »

Thats nice setup on the Explorer..I've heard rumors of other states or counties not allowing interior lights, that it has to be all exterrior due to being a visibilty enough issues, has anyone heard of this? Of coarse if this would ever happen here there would be alot of upset people because of how many are so hidden strobe crazy around here..LOL..
Some are getting away from strobes and going to the LED's..
Philter have you ever had any problems with any of your led's burning out? Here there has a been big problems with that happening because of the lights getting used 7 days a week and multiple times and hours thru the day,and the led's are not holding up and starting to burn out pretty quick with this kinda of use and they sure do look terrible when certain parts are burn out...LOL
philter

Post by philter »

I've only seen one module half go out in the past year and a half. They have been really reliable, and remember that there is a 5 year warranty on the Whelen LEDs. I can't speak for any other manufacturer, as I don't deal with them.
n8xfj

Post by n8xfj »

I hear you there for sure..A friend of mine just got rid of his led bar like that and in the past also got rid of his strobe bar because of the usage so much between him and his brother, its get used alot and the strobe tubes wasn't cheap either to replace so he ended up going back to a real nice vector bar fully loaded...which I made a post for his little brother on here because he is looking for a mini vector in great shape and was wanting to trade a whelen60 watt power supply and 1 pair of microthin strobes for the mini vector..
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

For the corners, try a Whelen TIR3 or a 911EP LED Star. I have had good luck with the LED Stars fitting in between the bumper and the front faschia or Turn Signals.
John
CBP_LB
What radios do you own?: XTS3000-III UHF

Post by CBP_LB »

what about the rear-view mirror on the side of the vehicle?
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

In Loving Memory; We miss you DAD!
http://iaff935.org/index.cfm?section=8&pagenum=264
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

That is a good idea too. One of the favorite things for many of my customers has been to add LED Stars to the side mirrors. The problem that arises on most newer model vehicles, is that the wire assemblies from the doors to the cab are not run through a rubber boot anymore. Many times they are run through connectors that need to be drilled out or additional holes have to be made to allow the wires to run safely from the door to the cab. Not difficult, just time intensive.
John
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Is this a NJ or NY department with the explorer?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
philter

Post by philter »

Pj,

Jersey.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”