RIB & New HP P.C. problem

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Marcin

RIB & New HP P.C. problem

Post by Marcin »

I have a new HP Toughbook model nr3610. I cannot get the RIB to read or write to my XTS3000. The COM 1 port does not talk through the RIB to the radio. I'm sure someone has already seen this one. HELP. Marcin :x
Space the final frontier.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Is it a Motorola RIB? Does it work with another computer? Are you using a real serial port, or a USB-to-Serial converter?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Marcin

Post by Marcin »

wavetar wrote:Is it a Motorola RIB? Does it work with another computer? Are you using a real serial port, or a USB-to-Serial converter?
The RIB is a Motorola one, and we have been using it for ages. The H.P. is a brand new version of their TOUGH Book, and does have a serail port. We tried to throttle back the baud rate, byt it still does not work. It looks like a converter will be needed.

5 to 0, way to go Canada. M.
Space the final frontier.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

Are you sure the HP serial port is configured as COM1 and is functioning?

If there is an internal modem, COM1 may be Modem and COM2 is Serial Port.
jwb8734
What radios do you own?: To many Motorola and Vertex

Post by jwb8734 »

You may need to go into the BIOS and change the Com Port setting there not in Windows.
Al

Post by Al »

I have noticed that there's a bios upgrade to version 1.21 available on the HP website if you are not already running 1.21.
jwb8734

Post by jwb8734 »

The BIOS version really shouldnt matter. It sounds like a setting. I know In my old laptop N5415 there was a setting for the Com Port and modem.
Al

Post by Al »

One of the purposes of bios "upgrades" is to fix bugs in prior versions. The man has a serial port problem. That's why I suggested that he would be wise to be sure he is running the latest version.
jwb8734

Post by jwb8734 »

Al wrote:One of the purposes of bios "upgrades" is to fix bugs in prior versions. The man has a serial port problem. That's why I suggested that he would be wise to be sure he is running the latest version.
Not hear to argue about this stuff. After reading the Release info there is no mention to problems with COM Ports only USB.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

is it giving you some kind of error code on the screen or what exactly is happening when you try to read it?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS

Return to “Radio Programming”