Cloning motorola m1225

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

groucho4

Cloning motorola m1225

Post by groucho4 »

I have 2 M1225 radios, got one set up the way I wanted it, then tried to clone the other one, hoping to save time in programming, but when I tried it, all I get is 'code plug version number mismatch' error. I'm using the 3.1 version software. From the serial numbers, I figure one radio was made in 1977, and the other in 1997, not sure this would make a difference tho....would it?...How can I get the program to let me clone these radios....?
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

There were no M1225's in 1977. The error you are getting is probably because the radio you are trying to clone was previously programmed with a different version software than you are using. The M1225's are not backwards compatible, meaning that you cannot use an older version of programming software than what was last used on it.

-Marc
MetroMan

Post by MetroMan »

Current software is Vers 4.0.

There was an issue with the older versions where you couldn't clone a radio without reading it first, I believe.

Try archiving the radio you want to copy from. Read the second radio and save it and then open the archive from radio one and clone it to the second. You can then read it and archive the second radio if you wish.
Rich
Al

Post by Al »

The inability to clone an M1225/P1225 without reading it first still exists in version 4.0 of the RSS.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Al, I think MetroMan was referring to the "Maxtrac" style of cloning, which was very obtuse & requires most people to keep a written record of how to do it. This has never been an issue with the 1225 RSS...you simply press the "clone" icon & away you go. Yes, the RSS will partially "read" the target radio, to ensure the codeplug you're putting in matches the radio...but that's the case with nearly all RSS.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
groucho4

Cloning motorola m1225

Post by groucho4 »

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried archiving the first radio, then hoping to use that to clone the second, but no go. All I can figure is that maybe at some time, someone did use the newer version software on one of those radios. Maybe I'll look around for the 4.0 software version and give that a shot.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Easy to tell if it has been programmed with the newer software. Just try to read it with your current software. If it's been programmed with a newer version, it will let you know. I never found a solution, but I've run into the same problem before. Two radios, that I was the last person to program, with the same model number, and I can't clone one to the other.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Cloning problems are caused by the many versions of firmware in 1225 radios. Radios must be near the same age to clone. Also, early versions of software did not clone all radios. Motorola send me special software for easier cloning when I was having problems years ago.
So, get late version software and clone radios that are near the same age and you will have good results.
"The world runs on radio."
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Kinda makes the clone feature useless, doesn't it? If a large fleet is able to purchase all the radios they'll ever need at one time (unlikely), they will have no cloning problems. If they have to buy a few radios over the course of a few years to add radios and replace bad ones, they are screwed as far as cloning goes.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-

Return to “Radio Programming”