Newbie needs help

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

M1225
What radios do you own?: VHF M1225, Yaesu FT2800M

Newbie needs help

Post by M1225 »

Okay I am just geting into the motorola radios. I have a M1225 that I would like to be able to program. I am wondering what do I need to do this. I have read a litle about the RIB and cables but am still confused a bit. Also was wondering what software I need and what its going to cost me. Thanks!!!!!!!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You will need:

Radio Interface Box (RIB) - RLN4008E or equivalent

Programming cable - schematics available on the main Batlabs site: http://www.batlabs.com. These are quite easy to build - as a hint, use an DB-25 --> RJ-45 adapter and pin it as the schematic indicates. Use a standard Cat5 patch cable from the adapter to the radio.

Software - available from Motorola (and only from Motorola). You'll need to sign a licensing agreement and fork over about $250. Call Mother at 800.422.4210.
M1225

Post by M1225 »

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Beware of 'clones', you're better off with OEM, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-RLN-4008B- ... dZViewItem
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Or if you want a cheaper clone get the Sandy Ganz rib, sold by radiostew on ebay. The best rib out there and even better than a Moto original in some cases.

Also with this one you only need a network patch cable to connect to most of the mobiles that program through the mic jack, like the M1225 for example, because this rib has an RJ-45 jack on it.

You can also buy the PCB from Sandy and then order the components and assemble the RIB yourself. A good learning experience, and having built the RIB yourself you also have the knowledge to repair it if anything goes wrong.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
M1225

Post by M1225 »

OK thanks for the advice!!!! I may just have to build one myself then. I was not sure at first if anyone made th board. That helps alot!!!!
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Here is the website:

http://www.geocities.com/sganz.geo/RibPage.html

The picture shows a complete RIB, the $25 is just for the printed circuit board and it comes with a parts list to order from Mouser.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

M1225

Post by M1225 »

One other question. Is this of those radio you can use just a cable to program instead of the 2 cable and RIB???
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

The M1225 requires a rib.

M1225

Post by M1225 »

ok cool!
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

kb0nly wrote:The M1225 requires a rib.
Scott, are you sure about that? It only uses two lines of the RIB to communicate, BUS+ and GND. I'm assuming he's talking about a 'ribless cable', and that's what the ribless cables have, so why would it not work?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
M1225

Post by M1225 »

well Im cofused!!!! :o
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

M1225 wrote:well Im cofused!!!!
Don't worry, that will go away with a little experiance :wink: .

Is the so-called 'ribless cable' what you were refering to? The ribless cable is a cable with a 'simplified' version of the RIB built into the D-Sub housing on the computer end of the cable. The ribless cables are compatible with only certain models of Motorola radios, with the Radius series (which the M1225 belongs in) being one of them. If that is what you are talking about, then yes, you can program the M1225 'without a RIB'.

If you are talking about a 'straight-through' cable, with no interface of any kind between the computer and radio, no, that can't be done. To put it simply, your computers' COM ports use a communations protocol called 'RS232' to comunicate with the outside world, while most Motorola radios use a protocol called 'TTL' (transistor-transistor logic) to comunicate with the programming equipment. The RIB, or ribless cable, is an RS232-TTL level converter to allow the computers' COM ports to succesfully comunicate with the radio.

Are you a little less confused now, or did I make it worse? :-?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
M1225

Post by M1225 »

That helps alot!! Thanks!!!!!!

Return to “Radio Programming”