Saber "ERR 0 81

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

telstar4

Saber "ERR 0 81

Post by telstar4 »

I tried reading a saber that had frequencies in it. No problem. After I changed one freq and wrote back to the radio I got an error 0 81.
I can still read the radio but get a check sum errors on cope and core. Any ideas?
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

The codeplug is corrupt for some reason. When you first read the radio you should have saved the codeplug before making any changes, load the saved codeplug and reprogram to clear the errors.

Or you can create a new codeplug from scratch and reprogram.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
telstar4

Post by telstar4 »

Thanks Scott, I did if fact read and save the code plug. I am able to write back to the radio but it displays err 0 81.I have tried this on three radios and it has caused the same error code. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my rib ( data collisions) ?
I am using a 286 with an aftermarket rib that I have used on syntor’s and other radios without issues. I tried saber RSS v 7 and v 5 same results.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

That's odd, better check your programming cable and make sure it's not losing connection while writing to the radio. Just double check everything than load your saved codeplug and write to the radio, when it asks about the tuning values hit F2 to write the codeplug values to the radio instead of extracting the radios values, if the radio is displaying the error already then chances are using it's tuning values is writing crap back to the radio.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

This is an on-going problem for some reason....but make sure all batteries are charged/fresh when you program your Saber, they do not like depleted batteries and will show an error if the packs are low.

If all is good in that area, I would make up a new codeplug, yours sounds like it's corrupt, or at the very least, missing pertitnent data(corrupt).

Since you can't access the actual radio's service settings without having the radio connected to the RIB and ON, you can at least read what was there after you programmed the radio, so you have an idea as to where to look for trouble.

Check all your frequencies....I'll bet there are a few with '?????' in some of the TX or RX boxes.....those cause Systems Sabers to go nuts, and fail to program, the same holds true for the standard Sabers as well.

Cook up a fresh codeplug with the SAME parameters as your original had, that way you should keep trouble to a minimum, and restore the radio back to normal use.

It's damn hard to 'kill' Sabers, unless you use a hammer!

Enterprise.....One to beam up!
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Make sure you are in running in true DOS. Not windows shell. I had the same error. When I got out of windows and ran it right out of the C: never happened again
telstar4

Post by telstar4 »

Thanks guys. I will give it a try tonight. Is there any way it could be the RSS even though its two different versions? I acquired them both from the same location.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Very old RSS can do this and can give fits on different boxes, even old ones you would think would work.

I found version 2.something in a pile of discs from a sale once. It wouldn't even work properly on a 486 slc 33 mhz computer.
telstar4

Post by telstar4 »

Ok, checked all connectins, ran both ver. of RSS in DOS 6.21 I
created a new code plug, now I get an error O C1 on three radios. I love the Motorola concept!
telstar4

Post by telstar4 »

Wait till you hear this... Had an old Panasonic toughbook pentium 2 that I thought I would try. Loaded the software and dont you know it programmed, no error codes. I thought the pentium's were too fast for these old dos programs. Anyway keep this in mind next time we talk about making sure to use a 286 /386 for these programs.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The latest Saber RSS runs flawlessly on my 1.7GHz Celeron-based laptop. The same RSS reads perfectly on a co-worker's 1.3GHz Centrino-based laptop, but corrupts the codeplug to the Saber when writing it. The mileage can vary from machine to machine, but in general it's hard to go wrong with a 386/486 for the older RSS.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Yep, newer faster computers MAY work. But for an absolutely stable and reliable programming platform there is still nothing like having an old 286, 386, 486.

I too can run the Saber RSS on my CF-27 Toughbook, 266Mhz, however i used it one day and it worked a few times without trouble but the last time it corrupted the radio on a write. I hit program again and it worked fine. So every now and then the faster computer still causes problems.

Return to “Radio Programming”