RadioStew RIB - GTX M11W - #2 No Acknowledge - help!

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jsb

RadioStew RIB - GTX M11W - #2 No Acknowledge - help!

Post by jsb »

I got my new RadioStew RIB today for use to program my Motorola GTX for 900MHz. Problem is, I get Serial Bus Error: #2 No Acknowledge and cannot read the codeplug.

I am using a straight through ethernet cable that is about 25 feet long. I tested pins 4 and 7 with an ohmmeter and the cable is good.

I plugged the cable into the RIB and into the radio, then powered on the radio and when the radio comes on it shows the current channel i'm on and a 1 like "4 1" and the squelch is open. If I disconnect the ethernet cable from the RIB the radio operates normally.

The 9V battery is fresh and the amber LED lights up brightly when I turn the RIB on.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance - Jason N1SU
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

GTX setup...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Tell us what computer you're using, and at what speed, and I sure hope it's
DOS 6.22 running from a DOS boot.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

If you're getting two discrete digits displayed, that means the radio has been put into test mode. It will do this if the RIB is not powered up but plugged into the radio, then the radio is turned on. The components in the RIB will load the serial programming line making the radio think it's been grounded, which is the normal way of getting the radio into test mode.

You should unplug the RJ45 cable from the radio, turn the radio on, wait for it to complete its self-test, power up the RIB, then plug the RJ45 cable into the radio.

Bob M.
jsb

Post by jsb »

Using the procedure you mentioned worked perfectly.

"You should unplug the RJ45 cable from the radio, turn the radio on, wait for it to complete its self-test, power up the RIB, then plug the RJ45 cable into the radio."

Thanks!!
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Glad it worked. GTXs are great little radios, but they take way too long to do their self-test, and one or two of those are done when you read or write the codeplug. Sure takes its sweet time.

That test mode "trick" also works on trunking MaxTracs. Since you can't get a trunking radio to transmit or receive until it has affiliated with the control station, the test modes let the technician check several transmit and receive frequencies as well as some different types of modulation.

While you're in the GTX, you'll want to decrease the squelch setting. It's in the Service Menu, Alignment screen. Usually they are set not to open until at least a 20dB quieting signal is received, and that's way too tight for amateur use. I usually slide the pot down until the squelch opens, then bump it up one value at a time, waiting for the radio to squelch up. Then I bump it up another 3-4 to make sure it stays closed. That'll usually end up with a usable sensitivity of around 0.2uV.

You can delete all but one trunking channel in the GTX radios. I've tried fooling it but the RSS is too restrictive, so you're stuck with 1A. That's just the way it is; you have to live with it or get a different model radio (like a Spectra or a conventional MaxTrac).

There's a GTX information page on http://www.repeater-builder.com in the Motorola section. Chock-full of useful stuff.

Bob M.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

GTX trunking channel...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

One of the two basic GTX mobiles, I forget whether it's the PP or LTR,
lets you hide the trunking channel.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Well, I've tried every way I know through programming, like disabling the personality (won't allow that), creating a new personality without a mode (won't allow that), etc. What's the secret? These radios are NOT LTR, and I don't know if they're even PP. Just plain M11WGD4CB1AN. Same thing with the handhelds with the keypad and display.

Bob M.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kcbooboo wrote:Well, I've tried every way I know through programming, like disabling the personality (won't allow that), creating a new personality without a mode (won't allow that), etc. What's the secret? These radios are NOT LTR, and I don't know if they're even PP. Just plain M11WGD4CB1AN. Same thing with the handhelds with the keypad and display.

Bob M.
No such thing as "plain" GTX...you have a Privacy Plus unit if you can't get rid of the 1A trunking display...the LTR version lets you disable it. Nature of the beast.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”