Motorola help in Iraq

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CPT Lac

Motorola help in Iraq

Post by CPT Lac »

Hey guys - I am an Army communications officer in Iraq. I'm an expert in military communications equipment but I've been given the mission to rebuild Iraqi Security Forces communications structure in a mid-size city. This is all Motorola equipment and I'm learning as I go and I'm looking for a forum to have questions answered since I have new ones every week. The network is a mess right now as I've got an awful mess of VHF and UHF stuff and not enough of any of it. I also think I am dealing with almost every radio Motorola ever conceived of from the beginning of time and need to program all of them. Right now I can program GM340/360 series, GP340/360/660 series, GP308 handhelds and some other non-Motorola stuff(Alinco DR-135 and Vertex VXR-7000 repeater)

Here is my immediate problem. I need to program a CDM1250 radio. I have a RIB-less programming cable for a GM340/360 series. First, will this cable work (the RJ-45 connection looks the same)? Second, where can I get the software to program the CDM1250 radio?

Also, all the cables I have right now are RIB-less. What is the advantage of having a RIB?

Right now I am just trying to setup a common voice network bewteen the Iraqi Police, Iraqi Army, and 2 other security type forces. Once I get this done I will explore some of the other options these radios offer.

WARNING: If you help me I will be back with more questions so make sure you're up for the challenge :)

CPT L
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The same regular cable (requiring a RIB) will program the CDM, maxtracs, GM300, M1225, and probably others that have the RJ45 style mic jack. I would be willing to be the RIBless cable will do the same but I couldn't say I've tried it. If you have the cable, give it a shot.

The software itself is the hardest part. To legally aquire it, you need to fill out 7 miles of paperwork and fax it back to Motorola. Then if motorola determines you are worthy of the software (done by picking an answer out of a hat), you give them about $600 and they send you a CD with software. Clearly, not viable option for you. I would think the military has this software already and can get it for you. I'll PM you some more information.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Contact the Governemt side of Motorola and you'll have the software in no time flat. If you try to do it as an individual, your results will vary.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
RKG

Post by RKG »

If you're going to enter the wonderful world of Motorola, you have to break such habits as assuming logically that all radios that program through the same connector use the same cable. It is true that the CDM cable is the same as that for a number of other radios (from memory: GTX, M1225, Radius), but you need a different cable for the MCS2000 radio (which also programs via an RJ45 mike connector).

Remember: employing logic to guess as how Motorola products work is dangerous.

Return to “Radio Programming”