DOS in Win XP

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ray boorstin

DOS in Win XP

Post by ray boorstin »

I'm using DOSBOX in Win XP to run dos programs. I've gotten Kenwoods to run in this configuration, but not Motorola, tried using different rib boxes. Has anyone gotten Mot software to communicate with the ribs? :-?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

DOS under XP

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The general understanding of XP is that is does not support any
version of DOS, so if what you say is true it's miraculous.

There is an extensive library of thread material on this subject on
this board that is available via the search function.

Welcome aboard!
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

XP doesn't have true DOS, though it will run some dos programs in the command window. I wouldn't even attempt to program a radio using RSS and a RIB that way though!

As you will find over and over on here, get an old slow computer running DOS only and program to your hearts content.

Some of the newer RSS will run on faster/newer computers, but even then you still need a native DOS environment for them.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yup you can run it to your hearts content but you can not program with it as motorola dos programs wont fully control the serial port. I do know it thinks it has it open because if you run another dos program in a command window it gives an error saying hey I can't open the serial port its in use by another dos program (done this with spectra rss).

I use dual boot with my win xp laptop, DOS and XP. You MUST load DOS first then install XP or XP wont let you see the DOS drive.

Jason
cab

Post by cab »

you can also use win98 startup disk to boot from floppy or bootable CD, but be sure that your hard disk is in FAT32
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

kb0nly wrote:
As you will find over and over on here, get an old slow computer running DOS only and program to your hearts content.

Some of the newer RSS will run on faster/newer computers, but even then you still need a native DOS environment for them.
Do you think an old 286 desktop (circa 1989) running 16 mhz clock speed will work with RSS RVN4176N (For MT-2000)?

Would it be to old, or to slow maybe?
Terry
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

no such thing as too slow when it comes to motorola dos programs.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

Thanks Jeff. This is good to know.
Terry
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You guys seemed to miss the point that he's running DOSBox, which is a DOS emulator under XP...not a command prompt. It does allow direct hardware control of the serial ports, and the latest version 0.65 is much improved in regards to serial port operation. I have read many reports on it where people are using it to run old DOS based comms programs under 2000/XP with great success.

I always use the program to run RSS such as LCS & Spectra which won't even run in an XP command prompt. I spent a few hours a couple of weeks ago trying to read a radio through DOSBox, but kept coming up with overflow errors & such. It may be a lack of configuration knowledge on my part, or maybe it isn't up to the task of talking through the RIB box yet...I don't know. If you've gotten it to work with Kenwoods, good stuff...I haven't tried to read them yet.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

Well, you can try that if you want to, but for myself, I'm not quite ready to go into the brick manufacturing business yet.
radiotechno1

Post by radiotechno1 »

I use my old 386 laptop which I only run dos on and keep just for the purpose of radio programming.....it works fine...its kinda hard to get used to waiting for the computer to do its thing again now we have been spolied with the latest technology...but I'll say one thing for radio programming it keeps the old Dos command fresh in the mind in these days of a non DOS world...lol People now don't even know what dos is or was...lol
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

DOS under XP appears to be 'unobtanium' and I have yet to get operation using XP in any configuration, nor able to read anything from the XP environment, even using the Win Dos ver XP contains.

I am able to read/write Sabers(both models) as well as GM300s under Win98SE, with DOS loaded, but NOT in true DOS mode.

I'm using a Compaq LTE5300, 133 PII with 256K cache, and the RSS works smooth once I disabled the IR port assingment as well as the IRQ that was causing the hose-up.

I'm able to run Ssaber and Saber RSS, as well as load system keys without a hitch.

Same goes for service, and all alignments, secure included.

Disable the IR assignment/port, and Win98SE should work, but I am going to try this setup with Genesis radios as well, then newer platforms as time warrants.

I tried several times in the past to get thsi setup to work with Sabers as the HD capacity far exceeds my IBM 360CSE, and it looks much nicer as well when i have to take it into a customer's location, so this was a 'must do'.

I am able to program site controllers for cell sites using Win98SE, as well as write the commands for uploading and downloading operrands for function calls for site routing information to the switch.

I take two HDs with me, and the second has minimal Win98SE loaded to save space for project files for my site operations, so that must enough free space to write to it as a single site download gets me about 200 Meg of raw data to sift through, this includes all site informaton, temps, power levels per channel, site loading at the moment the data was D/L'd, and all alarms for the site. Call data is not stored locally and is microwaved on backhaul to the switch, so I don't see call data or numbers, only the site's activity levels over a two week period.

There's even more data than this, but even Win98SE works well for this situation, and I am happy I can do more than a couple of radios without changing everything over to DOS only, that would be a pain.

One other thing that may be worth mentioning....I set up Win98SE to NOT include any comm programs, sounds or internet access, not to mention removing as many of the bloatware items as I could also.

I scour the .exe files, .bat files and .bak files and wipe out anything I know I have no use for and doesn't cause the program to crash, so it takes a while.

Maybe this is improper, but I do not save the uninstall option either, I'll do a full wipe of the drive when that time arrives, so this also saves drive space...Hey, it's only a 1.2 Gb drive, so every byte is valuable!

Return to “Radio Programming”