Programming Cable Pics

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jackhackett

Programming Cable Pics

Post by jackhackett »

So I managed to pilfer our install department's digital camera long enough to snap a couple of pics of some cables I made, figured I'd share them.

First is an adapter I made that replaces 3 cables with one, I posted the schematic a while back.

Next is a Spectra cable. I was having trouble programming them in the vehicles because we had two departments with emergency buttons, one had them wired for normally closed switches, the other normally open. With the factory cable I was always getting it the wrong way and setting off the emergency. Also finding a place to connect the factory cable's ignition sense lead was a pain. So I built one with a pass through, just plug the existing cable into it and all of your connections are made. It also has an adapter for bench work with a jumper plug on the emergency leads.

Last edited by jackhackett on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Cute idea.

There's already a Spectra programming cable that deals with the emergency line:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... cable.html

Bob M.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Hah! Looks like he had pretty much the same idea as me. I hadn't seen that before, thanks for the link.
Will

Post by Will »

Bob,

Much the same as we use here.

One note: If you have a genuine Motorola RIB, the pin 12 on the DB25 supplies power to the RIB from the Spectra radio's switched A+.
Clone and copies do not have the input for power on pin 12.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I that is mentioned in the article, or at least it can be deduced from the information therein. It's too bad the clones don't, or can't, utilize a source of +12V that way.

Bob M.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I'm using a Moto RIB, I never worried about powering it from the spectra though, since I always work in the shop I have AC power available to me 99.9% of the time so I run the RIB off a wall wart, and on the rare occasion where I have to program in a vehicle parked out of extension cord reach I use the battery.

Good news.. I won't have to borrow the installer's camera anymore.. got a Digital Rebel XT on the way... now if I only could have gotten the shop to pay for it like they did... :-?
Will

Post by Will »

kcbooboo wrote:I that is mentioned in the article, or at least it can be deduced from the information therein. It's too bad the clones don't, or can't, utilize a source of +12V that way.

Bob M.
I added the EXT power to the couple of non Motorola RIBs arround here. And many repaired here for others.

Return to “Radio Programming”