windoze vista and CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

windoze vista and CPS

Post by batdude »

anyone get this to work?

i get "invalid class" errors when using Astro25 w/ USB cable

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Running Win32 code on Vista is a bit like runnig DOS code (such as RSS) on Win32. The Win32 APIs have mostly been gutted out, and thrown back in as an emulation layer. Vista is mostly a new OS.

I'd be pretty hesitant to test out something as temperamental as CPS (and as expensive as an ASTRO 25 radio) on a Vista beta.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

i disagree with that statement.

there are two versions of vista on the street. x86 and a 64 bit version.

if no one else tries - how else are we going to figure it out?

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Vista is only Windows by name. It's basically a new operating system, and as such, has serious compatibility problems with older releases.

The Windows API is the name given by Microsoft to the core set of application programming interfaces available in Windows - it's basically the means through which programs, like CPS, interact with the operating system.

Win32 is the 32-bit API for current versions of Windows. Win32 for 64-bit Windows (previously known as Win64) is just the version of the Win32 API targeted for 64-bit versions of Windows, with support for 64-bit pointers and whatnot. There are no new functions specific to the 64-bit versions of Windows.

Anyway, this is not a Windows programming board, so I'd better leave it at that.

At which point do the errors occur? When the program starts, or when you try communicating with the radio?

If it happens while communicating with the radio, I bet it's because Vista hates Motorola's Win32 USB driver.
Last edited by mr.syntrx on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Why would you try? There's presently no reason to switch to Vista, besides it still being in beta, you should be able to keep a programming computer with XP going for years to come. If you're doing it just to see if you can, you may as well just smack yourself in the head with a hammer... same effect.
I would imagine Moto will be coming out with new CPS versions once Vista is officially released anyway, no sense beating yourself up trying to make it work now.

Vista is nasty stuff.. even Gates sees it's impending release as time to bail.
Personally I'd like to see Moto start coming out with CPS versions for Linux or OS X.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's much like the earlier versions of CPS could work on 2000, but not on XP...and they were far more similar than XP is to Vista. Trying it doesn't hurt, but I believe we're gonna have to wait until Motorola decides to release a CPS version with Vista support. Considering it's not even out of beta, count on at least 2 years.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”