Aftermarket-Clone RIB's?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

skiman1

Aftermarket-Clone RIB's?

Post by skiman1 »

Hi There,

I assume its better to go with the real Moto RIB's than knock off's found on Ebay? I bought a Mini-RIB box with cable for around 30 beans and was wondering any possible pitfalls to these, Thanks in advance for replies!

Steve
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Most of the problems associate with those mini-ribs is the level of quality used in building them. Cheap components, cheap design, etc.

Some of them aren't that bad and for programming some of the more basic radios it's not a problem. But when it comes to programming higher end radios there is the possibility of creating an expensive brick.

The one any only RIB i use and recommend is the Sandy Ganz clone. You can order the blank PCB from Sandy and then build it yourself, or get a complete unit from radiostew.com or he sells them on ebay from time to time under the same name.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
skiman1

Post by skiman1 »

Thanks, I've seen this site before, but could't find anything on Ebay from him, I just shot him an email. Meanwhile I'll take a look under the hood a the Mini I have to see what it looks like, Radiostew's look very solid indeed.

Thanks again for the great info and for the other thread on the computer specs from yesterday.

Steve

Return to “Radio Programming”