Cloning an XTS-3000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioGuyBri

Cloning an XTS-3000

Post by RadioGuyBri »

Would I be able to clone or insert a model III xts codeplug into a model 1 xts. The model 3 has many options including IMBE which is what I want cloned. The model 1 has smartnet and is ASTRO ready, analog operation only. I want to put my model 3 codeplug into the model 1. Will this turn on IMBE in the model 1.
Thanks
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It probably won't do what you want, because DSP & Host firmware versions are different for analog only & digital radios. See these similar posts for more info:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=5624

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=5263 (see BK177's remark in that particular post)

Todd
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Just curious -- if one wanted to upgrade the firmware (from analog only DSP to digital) on such a radio (XTS/Astro Saber), can you do it yourself as long as you have a flash rib? Or do you have to send it to M? And does Motorola charge an arm and a leg for the upgrade?

Now if only I had such a radio to upgrade.... :lol: :lol: :P
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

fireradio wrote:Just curious -- if one wanted to upgrade the firmware (from analog only DSP to digital) on such a radio (XTS/Astro Saber), can you do it yourself as long as you have a flash rib? Or do you have to send it to M? And does Motorola charge an arm and a leg for the upgrade?

Now if only I had such a radio to upgrade.... :lol: :lol: :P
It can certainly be done in the field, I've done it many times. But it requires more than just a SmartRIB. Specifically, a hardware key & a special upgrade file from Motorola which intergrates into the RSS to allow the upgrade. The hardware key limits how many units you can upgrade. When you request a FLASHport upgrade from Motorola, you must provide them with a list of serial numbers for the radios which you are flashing. They will set the hardkey to allow you to flash only that number of radios. Motorola will typically only sell FLASHport upgrades to companies/gov't departments which have purchased the radios directly from Motorola. Good luck trying to get it if you obtained the radio any other way, whether it be eBAY or through an authorized dealer, it doesn't seem to matter. See the Flash programming primer on BatLabs for further info:

http://www.batlabs.com/flash.html

Todd
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

OK -- I knew they are strict about flash upgrades, I just thought they may be a little more willing to sell the firmware upgrades and such...

Thanks for your reply!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”