What exactly is "Astro"?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

What exactly is "Astro"?

Post by nmfire10 »

Ok, so what exactly is an "Astro" radio or sysem. I can't find anything to tell me what it really is. I know someone on this forum will probably know :)
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

"Astro" is Motorola's name for its digital radio's.

They come in two varities:
VLSEP which is the older "first generation" format
IMBE - which is APCO25 compliant

99% of all new digital enabled Motorola radios are IMBE. The APCO25 standard is written so that digital radios from any manufactuers are suppose to work with each other, but I understand that there are some variations of this.

VLSEP and IMBE radios CANNOT talk to each other. There are some large VLESP systems out there, but all the newer systems are using IMBE.

FYIW: The CSP is an IMBE SmartZone system. It does NOT use the 9600 control channel protocol as previoulsy thought. You can use a trunktracker to track the system, but you will not hear anything but the digital data.

Also digital means $$$$$! I am going thru this right now to convert our conventional system to digtial, and just the bases/consoles we are looking at over $125k (one channel).
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

APCO-25 trunking

Post by Twisted_Pear »

Pj wrote: FYIW: The CSP is an IMBE SmartZone system. It does NOT use the 9600 control channel protocol as previoulsy thought. You can use a trunktracker to track the system, but you will not hear anything but the digital data.
I think Michigan State is the only user of a large SmartZone APCO-25 trunking system. There may be smaller systems here or there but I don't recall any.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”