SmartZone vs. SmartNet Trunking, whoreflash codes?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unleashedff248
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, XTS5K & 3K, MCS2K

SmartZone vs. SmartNet Trunking, whoreflash codes?

Post by unleashedff248 »

I'm rather new to trunking, and I recently experienced a switch to a Motorola Type II Smartnet system. I understand the differences between the two (and Omnilink), but I can't for the life of me find an XTS3000 with Smartnet in it's flashcode. This is what I get from the info sheet:

ENH: SOFTWARE SMARTNET SYSTEM H37 326 $1,020.00
ADD: SMARTZONE SYSTEM SOFTWARE H38 326 $1,275.00

All I can seem to find is H38 XTS's. Will these work on a Smartnet system? We have 2 zones with 3 control channels (1 in zone "A", 2 in zone "B"). The system is also analog.

I searched the forum for hours and found nothing. I'm new to the whole XTS series and am still learning a LOT about these radios. Is there a master list with all flashcode options? Mine seems to be lacking at 7-23-04 rev. date.

Also, I hear a lot about FrankenFlashes and WhoreFlashes, along with the lovely NickFlashes (but it seems that I don't want to even go there). From what I gather, if the DSP letter and Host package can handle the flash options, you're good to go. I'm looking at a seemingly infamous 591008-4F1E00-9 flashcode XTS3K. The firmware is R07.03.00, DSPN07.03.12. I think we're good with the radio supporting the flashed features, right?

Last, can these radios be programmed with my stupid HT1000 cable? It's the RIB box version, MOTO genuine. Before I shell out another $178 (RKN4035), I want to make sure I absolutely need to.

Thanks in advance!

-Dave
Einstein

Re: SmartZone vs. SmartNet Trunking, whoreflash codes?

Post by Einstein »

A excellent flash decoder is in the Astro Radio Equipment, Sticky, akardam.net motorola tools and documents.
Yes you will need the RKN4035D cable and a rib box to program the XTS3000.
Whore flashed radios are not all bad its just if something goes wrong with the radio and you try to send it back to Motorola, they will return it to you ASAP, no repair. Also there are numerous posts as to Host/DSP and Flash compatibility issues.
If the radio is flashed for SMARTZONE operation it will be compatible with SMARTNET systems.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

As you go up in trunking pacakges, "lesser" systems are included. In a sense, its backwards compatiable.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
unleashedff248

Post by unleashedff248 »

Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks again for all your help. This site is a Godsend!

As for the Whoreflash issue...I don't plan on sending anything to the Depot, especially with the current problems. I wouldn't send them my HT1000 if I had to, much less an XTS. So I think I'm doing ok there then.

Stay safe.
-Dave
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Yeah, you really wouldn't want to send it to the depot if it gets "whored". You might not get it back. :o (But you never really know with Mexi-Depot..... it's always guess-work sending things to them)

These are the "desirable" flashes:

Astro Line (ala AstroSaber/XTS3k): 599108-1C5E00-1

Astro25 Line (ala XTS2.5k/4k/5k/XTL): 5A9008-101E87-2

For a flashcode decoder, may I suggest Akardam's. It's one of the most accurate and well-done ones that are out there; at least I think so.

http://www.akardam.net/moto/tools/decode3.pl
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Rayjk110 wrote:You might not get it back. :o
Theft charges would cause them to change their mind about that very fast, if they ever pulled such a stunt.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Many a whore has been sent to the depot and returned OK.

Someone once even got theirs back with a set of factory labels with 599108-4F1E00-0 on them :)

Cheers,
Matt
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

MattSR wrote:Someone once even got theirs back with a set of factory labels with 599108-4F1E00-0 on them :)
Jose apparently doesn't mind teh whore 8)
radios4bill
What radios do you own?: XTL5000, APX7000, Astro Saber

Post by radios4bill »

Hi Group; I have a question? I purchased a H37Smartnet ASII will it work on a H38 Smartzone System? Thanks!
unleashedff248

Post by unleashedff248 »

No, a H37 Smartnet portable will not work for a Smartzone system. Only higher systems are inclusive (which would be Smartzone Omnilink).

As for programming your portable to operate Smartnet on a Smarzone system....I'm not 100% sure but I think it can be done. You will lose functionality of automatic zone changing and you will have to find out which control channels operate in each zone rather than just dumping them all into a Smartzone system. You may be only able to monitor and not affiliate and transmit this way. I mistakenly programmed a small smartzone system as a smartnet system once and it was monitor only, but worked. Anyone else have any experience here?

Hope that helps.

-Dave
RKG

Post by RKG »

Assuming compatible data formats, any SmartNet II radio will work on a SmartZone system.

SmartZone is a feature set overlay on SmartNet, which permits multiple SmartNet "systems" (where "system" = unique combination of SysID and control channels) to be linked. From the subscriber perspective, SmartZone relegates to the subscriber equipment the job of determining which of the "systems" it is within range of and affiliating with that system. Such affiliations are used to temporarily "bring in" to a "system" talkgroups that are not native to that "system."

Assuming compatible data formats, any SmartNet subscriber radio will function fine, with the limitations mentioned above:

The user has to select the "system" manually.

The "affiliation" may not work to bring in non-native talkgroups.

However, the user should be able to talk on any talkgroups native to the "system" to which his radio is listening and for which it is programmed.

It is not uncommon to use SmartNet equipment on a SmartZone system where the subscriber will not be moving around (such as control stations).

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”