Motorola Spectra PL tone Problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

1585hp

Motorola Spectra PL tone Problem

Post by 1585hp »

I have a Motorola Spectra on the 900 MHz ham band. It was working fine then out of the blue, during a QSO, the PL encode quit working. I've been told this can be a common problem with the Spectras. Anyone know how to fix it? I re-capped the unit, it only had 3 leaky caps, all on the RF board, and they had not leaked enough to damage the circuit board. Any help is MUCH appreciated.
Will

Re: Motorola Spectra PL tone Problem

Post by Will »

You have more caps that have leaked and you can not see the damage under them. Look at your RF board again.
1585hp

Post by 1585hp »

Turns out it was a "hack" issue. Apparantly something was hacked incorrectly in the software. If I read the radio with a "non-hacked" version, you see that the PL tones are not there. Simply re-programing it with the non-hacked version and by changing the PL tones to the proper one fixed my problem. All has been good for over a month now.
psteele35
New User

Post by psteele35 »

I had a similar issue. I bought a radio from a friend and reprogrammed it to my needs but the PL didn't seem to be working. I cloned it from a radio that I knew worked properly and it fixed the problem. I'm guessing it was something that was done in the programming by the previous owner... although he said he never had a problem and we're using the same software... weird.
-Paul
ASTRO Spectra VHF W9
ASTRO Spectra Plus VHF W5 x2
XTS2500 VHF x2
XTS3000 VHF
Icom IC-V8000

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”