Gauging interest: Impres MUC quiet dual fan mod kit?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

akardam

Gauging interest: Impres MUC quiet dual fan mod kit?

Post by akardam »

I got tired of the noisy always-on fan in my Impres Multi Unit Charger, so I did a slight modification to retain my sanity (and hearing?), as seen here:

http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/impresrackfanmod.html

Now, I've got lots of parts left over from this modification. I'm considering doing a run of drop-in kits, and trying to gauge the level of interest. Feel free to reply here or PM if you're interested.
Al

Re: Gauging interest: Impres MUC quiet dual fan mod kit?

Post by Al »

Just out of curiousity, did you use sleeve bearing or ball bearing replacement fans in your mod? The originals were ball bearing, and those types, although longer-lived than sleeve bearing fans, always produce more noise than the ball bearing ones which accounts for at least some of the noise you were hearing. But the ball bearing fans last a lot longer in continuous duty without bearings going dry and siezing up.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Ball bearing. The replacement fans are spec'd as close to the original unit as possible, except rotational speed (and thus power consumption) and acoustics. I don't have an acoustic meter, but on the basis of comparison, the replacement fans generate at least an 85% lower acoustic output.
akardam

Post by akardam »

I've posted a FS thread for anyone interested:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=78658
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Got my kit(s) from Peter the other day, and chose to do the mods tonight while waiting for the Percocet to take over from my root canal today.

Including hunting down a torx screwdriver and my glasses (I left them next to the TV) it took 5 minutes total for each unit.

Air flow seems to be about the same as before, although the units (which are NEXT to my bed) are MUCH quieter.

Good job Peter!! :P :P
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

UNITS? Having enough radios to fill one up is bad enough, but more than one? Better be careful, the Wackmeter 4000 is climbing quick :lol:

Anyway, another large thumbs-up for the kit. Worth every penny, and it's worth the $50 for the packaging alone (you'll have to buy one to learn more).
com501

Post by com501 »

Sure...

One for Sabers/XTS's/MTS2000's, the other for the HT1550s, HT1250s, and the extra batteries.

:o :o :o

Just haven't found a reason to put in a rack charger for my KVLs, yet......

The Kenwoods have their own rack charger, but it contains no fans...
a1emt

Post by a1emt »

Just installed my kit. Nice job Pete! Very simple install, perfect fit of quality parts.

Jim
Motofanatic

Post by Motofanatic »

Got my kit from Peter within a couple of days after he received the payment. Took less than 5 minutes to install and the quiet airflow of the new fans is a godsend over the raspy OEM fan.

Packaging and instructions are top-notch. You'll think you just ordered a retrofit kit directly from MOL!

Another thumbs up from a satisfied batboard member.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Have any pics of the kit?

Mine is in mounted near my server/switch rack so it isn't really noticeable anyways, but it'd be cool to see how it looks!

:-)
com501

Post by com501 »

I took the old fans that I had removed and installed them in my chargers on the work bench at work. Since its not too quiet there anyway, the added flow sure helps! recycle!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Rayjk110 wrote:Have any pics of the kit?

Mine is in mounted near my server/switch rack so it isn't really noticeable anyways, but it'd be cool to see how it looks!

:-)
Take a Torx driver and disassemble your gang charger.
Inspect the one fan and the matching non-populated screw bosses on the other side.
Imagine having two fans.
Imagine about 10dB less overall noise.

They're not gold plated, they don't have flashy LEDs. Not exactly picture-worthy :roll: .
icom98
What radios do you own?: Just About Everything

Post by icom98 »

I would like to buy a retro kit if you decide to offer them again.
Someday We'll Look Back On This And It Will All Seem Funny.
From Rosilitia, Sung By Bruce Springsteen, CIRCA 1973

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”