Rebanding suppport for XTS3000 w/swapped RF deck

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jeremyn
What radios do you own?: XTS3K ASaber MTS2K HT1250LS+

Rebanding suppport for XTS3000 w/swapped RF deck

Post by jeremyn »

Greetings all

I have an XTS3000R that began life as an "R" split radio that the previous owner swapped the RF deck on and voila! ....a "U" split radio! The problem is that the radio currently has R07.24.00, and I've read that a minimum of R07.70.xx is required for rebanding support.

What are my options for getting this thing flashed to support the use of rebanded channels?

Thanks
Jeremy
akardam

Re: Rebanding suppport for XTS3000 w/swapped RF deck

Post by akardam »

You'll have to have the radio's firmware upgraded.
jeremyn

Post by jeremyn »

Yes, this I know. The question is how do I do that? Do I have to send it back to Motorola and potentially endure questions about how the RF deck got switched, or is this a procedure that I can do myself...
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

A) Have your local MSS attempt to order a firmware refresh kit, and have them perform the upgrade if they are equipped to handle that..

B) Have your local MSS send it to the Depot in the South and have them uplift it. It may or may not raise eyebrows when it shows up configured as a different bandsplit than it orig was, and with non-matching numbers..

C) Have your local MSS attempt to order a firmware refresh kit, and then you can purchace a SmartRib and OEM service/program cable which has the bootstrap line, and you can do it yourself..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
jeremyn

Post by jeremyn »

I sounds like I already have the rest of the equipment required, so I just need to get the firmware refresh kit. Will Motorola deal with me directly if I call to order it, or do I absolutely have to go through an MSS to obtain it? Also, I don't suppose anyone would know about how much I should expect that to set me back....

Thanks
Jeremy
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No, unfortunately Motorola will not deal with you directly for this.

You don't necessarily have to go to an MSS, theoretically you could go to a local dealer and they should be able to fill out the APB paperwork and try to get approval from Motorola.

A firmware refresh runs $75 for materials plus whatever labor the shop elects to add on top of that
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

What about pretending the radio needs a new display. Doesn't a new display come with a firmware kit due to the newer displays needing the newer firmware to work?

Or if you still have the old R split rf deck, put it back in the radio. Then try having it upgraded - that way they can't say anything about it being converted......
jeremyn

Post by jeremyn »

Ok, so about $75 + labor. I think I can deal with that...but what is APB paperwork? Is there any chance that the shop will give me the kit when they receive it if I want to do the upgrade on my own?

Also, I can order a new display kit if it's the only way, but would prefer to keep the costs to a minimum if possible. The idea of putting the "R" split RF deck back into the radio would be good except I didn't get it when I bought the radio...but I could attempt to acquire one I suppose.

Another (possibly silly) question: would swapping the RF deck out for the upgrade cause the wrong version of the firmware to be loaded into the radio, or is the firmware unaware of the RF split the radio has?

Jeremy
akardam

Post by akardam »

The firmware is band agnostic, insomuch as it encompases all bands/splits the radio is capable of operating on.
jeremyn

Post by jeremyn »

Ok, that makes sense. Can I also assume that the firmware is also flashcode agnostic as well then?
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

jeremyn wrote:Ok, that makes sense. Can I also assume that the firmware is also flashcode agnostic as well then?
As long as the flashcode doesn't contain invalid options such as the 4F1E or 1C5E flash, it should upgrade it with no problems..

-Marc

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

jeremyn

Post by jeremyn »

Please pardon my ignorance (it's closer to inexperience, to be honest), but what is a 4F1E or 1C5E flash?

My flashcode is 599108-1F4600-0, so hopefully I don't have any illegal options in there...although I'm just noticing that akardam's decoder did flag two of the options (in bits 1 and 3) as illegal.
akardam

Post by akardam »

jeremyn wrote:Please pardon my ignorance (it's closer to inexperience, to be honest), but what is a 4F1E or 1C5E flash?
A search here on the board will reveal much discussion on those flashes. Basically, whoreflashes.
jeremyn wrote:My flashcode is 599108-1F4600-0, so hopefully I don't have any illegal options in there...although I'm just noticing that akardam's decoder did flag two of the options (in bits 1 and 3) as illegal.
Not illegal, just useless. You have yet another whoreflash. H39 will probably trip up the firmware upgrade. Plus, on the paperwork you have to submit to order the firmware upgrade (refresh), you have to put in your flash (even though technically it doesn't matter) - that'll probably get it flagged.
Q2222A

Post by Q2222A »

You write about an XTS300R in the R & S split. These are UHF band units. Rebanding only applies to 800 MHz radios. As I see it, you don't need any refresh software at all since the radio will not be rebanded.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

jeremyn wrote:I have an XTS3000R that began life as an "R" split radio that the previous owner swapped the RF deck on and voila! ....a "U" split radio!
Q2222A, if you re-read the orig post, you'll see that the radio has been converted to a "U" split which is 800MHz..... So rebanding would apply to his radio...

-Marc

Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Q2222A wrote:You write about an XTS300R in the R & S split. These are UHF band units. Rebanding only applies to 800 MHz radios. As I see it, you don't need any refresh software at all since the radio will not be rebanded.
The OP has a U split, so rebanding will be needed sooner or later.

Update: Mfire39 beat me to the post by a few minutes :lol:
jeremyn

Post by jeremyn »

To everyone who responded: I just wanted to say thanks, as now I have an idea of how to go about getting this thing upgraded. I've learned quite a bit about firmware flashing (and some about why Motorola and depot are a pain to deal with at times) from all the responses. Sounds like this is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, so I look forward to exploring below the surface to see what all lies beneath.

Thanks again!
Jeremy

Return to “Radio Programming”