Helpers Instrument Lineman

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

Helpers Instrument Lineman

Post by FMROB »

Hello,

Does any one know if there is a unit out there that is similar to the helpers instrument lineman, since it is out of production?

Also, If anyone has one for sale, please PM me... Top $$$ paid.

Thanks, Rob
philiprhoads
New User

Re: Helpers Instrument Lineman

Post by philiprhoads »

Love to have one of those myself. Very helpful for tone remote testing and so many more apps in radio . I am using a Helper Inst.sinadder 3 I got off ebay for $25.00. It works and gives me AC volt readings like the Lineman but it's bigger and heavier and I had to modify it with a RJ45 jack and parallel Fem RCA and made detachable cables to do all the different hook ups I use for several telco systems, line drivers in Sat recievers, and line loss on tone remotes. I have also been known to use an old simpson meter modified with a high Z amp and speaker out. Seems they made an old line level meter that worked well but as to availability?????
Another is a butt set modified to hook to an AC voltmeter. Preferably analog AC voltmeter in my antiquated opinion.
PBR
radio_05

Post by radio_05 »

never used or seen a helper lineman.. only used a Triplett Model 4. (Which would likely be a better quality substitute)
Last edited by radio_05 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

There have been previous discussions on this Board about this subject. Do a search and you'll come up with them.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I use an HP 4934 TIMS, and a JDSU Tri-Porter. The JDSU has paid for itself several times reducing service time looking for open pairs on premise like at a hospital. It says one side is 600ft long, and the other is 145ft. Okay - which closet is 145 wire ft away? Find the crossconnect and punch it down. It's also handy for proving an ethernet cable is a wee bit too long and that's why connectivity is so crappy. It's not RF getting into the cable - it's 400ft from the injector through the building to the Canopy on the roof.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Sorry to unearth an ancient post but I just listed one of these in the FS/FT forum. Ran across one of these great units recently and dont need two.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”