XTVA general questions...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

XTVA general questions...

Post by rwo978 »

I've got very limited knowledge of Moto.... so looking for some answers.

The XTVA works with a 3000 or 5000, correct?
Do all XTVAs work with all 3000s or 5000s ... save the 3000 M1, which I read won't work... display only?
Is there any programming involved of the XTVA to get all the funtions of the radios to work, mainly button functions, on the HHCH head?
Is there any programming of the XTVA period?
How hard is it to add the amp?
How many watts does the amp add?
If one had the choice of a mobile or an XTVA, which would you choose? Why?
Will a general /\/\ mobile radio speaker work with the XTVA if wired correctly?

Thanks guys
Ryan
tvsjr

Re: XTVA general questions...

Post by tvsjr »

Yes, XTVAs work with XTS3 and XTS5.
All XTVAs will work, no model 1. Later revisions deal with thin batteries and impres batteries better. I believe the current revision is F (last character in part #).
The XTVA is dumb - no programming it. You do program the portable to configure the behavior of the radio while in the XTVA.
The amp (unlike the older MTVA) is an external, RF-triggered unit. You give it power, plug the XTVA into the input, and the antenna into the output. They are 15 watts.
I personally prefer a dedicated mobile with a real control head. That said, I'm running XTLs and an XTVA in the truck.
No, you must use the amplified speaker included with the XTVA.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I have never had a problem with a model-1 radio in an XTVA, that is, when used with the standard palm mic instead of the HHCH. Also, you don't have to use the amplified speaker if you can't find one- the audio will still come out the portable's speaker if it doesn't sense a load on the external output. And you didn't mention what bandsplit amplifier, they come in 15W (800MHz), 20W (UHF), and 35W (VHF).
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Jim1348

XTVA General Question

Post by Jim1348 »

I have an XTVA that I was issued at work for use with an XTS5000. I put the 5000 in it last week with an absolutely dead battery and it didn't seem to charge it. It is an Impress battery. When I got to the SO I dropped it in a gang charger and brought it back to life. I have been told that this will not charge, but just maintains the battery. Is this correct or does it charge the battery?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The XTVA should charge the battery; however, if it's in an extremely discharged state, it wouldn't surprise me if the XTVA wouldn't like a totally nuked battery.
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

Sorry, would be a VHF amp. Thanks for the tips/info. Keep it coming. Trying to decide what to buy.
Ryan
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Ryan - not sure if you saw the batlabs xtva info yet - notice the need for a certain minimum software ver or above
and also the need to utilize the rf adapter on the portable.

http://www.batlabs.com/xtva.html
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”