ASIII Fuse

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KF4FMZ

ASIII Fuse

Post by KF4FMZ »

Question #1:
Need help finding the fuse on a VHF Astro Saber III. I was refining the code plug and on the fourth update must have blown the fuse. The radio was on when I connected the programming cable, though I have never had one blow a fuse before.

I took apart an old working 800 ASII and it looks like there is a small green picofuse on the RF board opposite the main power pickup connectors. Is this it?

Question #2:
Has anyone successfully tried AES-256 in an ASIII? The module I have is a NNTN4355A. Something tells me the DSP in this radio will not support the UMC. But it would be fun to try.

H04KDH9PW7AN
1MEG
HOST 07.00.01
DSP N07.03.06
559004-0C0C00-5

Thanks,
KF4FMZ
grandnational
New User
What radios do you own?: Motrac, Mastr Pro, Kokusai, NC

Re: ASIII Fuse

Post by grandnational »

Yes, the fuse you found in the 800 meg radio is it. Whether it's actually a blown fuse or not is a good question. Be sure to check the mating of the VOCON to the RF board with the double-row header connection. Also, be sure the VOCON has proper insulating film (orange color) on the upper part of the VOCON. If it doesn't, especially if you plug in a crypto board, it will blow the fuse at some point. Sometimes it doesn't cause damage, other times it can. Also be careful in handling the VOCON (ESD safety!).

According to my service manual, the NLD8829B/D board has F1 in the middle bottom of the board, right of the J1 connector going to the VOCON. Listed P/N is 6505757V02, 2 Amp.
KF4FMZ

Post by KF4FMZ »

Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree that my question was not a good one, but with absolutely nothing wrong with the radio or programming equipment, I suspected a blown fuse. Also, I have not yet opened the radio to check the fuse. My other theory is it could be the power/volume switch and/or flex cable acting up.

73s
KF5LSC
What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

Post by KF5LSC »

grandnational wrote:Also, be sure the VOCON has proper insulating film (orange color) on the upper part of the VOCON. If it doesn't, especially if you plug in a crypto board, it will blow the fuse at some point. ).

According to my service manual, the NLD8829B/D board has F1 in the middle bottom of the board, right of the J1 connector going to the VOCON. Listed P/N is 6505757V02, 2 Amp.
I realize that I have resurrected this post from the dead, but in reference to this insulating film, which side of the VOCON does it go on? On the side that faces the RF board or the side that would face the speaker and display?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”