programming a visar vhf

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lancerice
What radios do you own?: GM300's, GM350's, Visar's

programming a visar vhf

Post by lancerice »

i have a motorola visar vhr radio, i have just got a programming lead from ebay and i have the R03.02.01 software but the software opens up but will not read the radio, it says rib port connection unsuccsseful, what dose this mean i have no rib just a cable radio to pc with a 9v batt conection, i have an old laptop, it works with my gp300, gm300 and gm350 but having problems with this visar
any help would be greatful

thanks lance
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Re: programming a visar vhf

Post by WV8VFD »

Lance,

Are you using pure DOS, or are you using a DOS window inside Windows? You have to be using pure DOS, or it wont work.
Tyler Lewis
lancerice

Post by lancerice »

i am using dos in windows the same as i do for the other motorola radios, do these have to be different then

lance
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

are you saying you cable takes a 9v battery? and you are not using a rib?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Using the DOS that runs under Windows is usually a bad idea. The common malfunction is that the RSS will read the radio but then you won't be able to write to the radio. Anything in between is also possible due to the fact that the timing sequence of the serial port under the Windows/DOS is different from the timing of the port when run under pure DOS. You can download the stanrdard DOS 6.22 from several sources on the Internet for free which is strongly recommended despite your past possible success using the Windows DOS. Also, if the RSS requires a RIB then you should probably be using a RIB. The aftermarket cables which claim to be "ribless" when a rib is required are usually a source of trouble. A good source of Visar information can be found at www.batlabs.com under "Model Specific Information" and then in the "Portable" section which follows.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
lancerice

Post by lancerice »

hello I am back I have managed to get a computer to read the radio but it will still not program the radio it says CANNOT OPEN FILE: .\PATCH.007
I am running in pur dos with a ribless cable and the computer runs win 95 and is a 200mhz

could any body please give me any more advise
thanks lance
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

lancerice wrote:hello I am back I have managed to get a computer to read the radio but it will still not program the radio it says CANNOT OPEN FILE: .\PATCH.007
I am running in pur dos with a ribless cable and the computer runs win 95 and is a 200mhz

could any body please give me any more advise
thanks lance
You might have a bigger problem with your system. Whatever is affecting your ability to program your Visar seems to be affecting your keyboard as well. Capital letters and punctuation seem to be the most significantly affected. You may need to do some further research.
Shuttle

Post by Shuttle »

Please do remember that there are two types of Visars out in the world. As is the case with most mother M's products. GP300, GP300-5T, GP340<->HT750 etcetera.

I stumbled upon a few local (European) Visars a few years back that wouldn't program with the Visar rss. I had to use HT1000 or JT1000 rss if I recall correctly.

I can't recall if this was visible within the model number, but I suppose it should be seen there as well.

Best regards,
Martin
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Shuttle wrote:I stumbled upon a few local (European) Visars a few years back that wouldn't program with the Visar rss. I had to use HT1000 or JT1000 rss if I recall correctly.
HT1000/JT1000 RSS is Visar RSS. All 3 in one. Perhaps there's another RSS for the Visars? I don't believe there is but there could be regional issues.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

As stated previously, the Visar RSS programs the HT1000 series models, including the JT.
Windows is not the issue, from the error message, your copy may have a missing file, such as the .MDF Etc...
Missing file types cause the RSS to halt.
Also, having disk sleep times enabled can cause read errors, as does having the Cache active.
For best results, use DOS 6.22 IF you can find a clean copy, run it in NATIVE mode only, and NOT in a DOS shell such as DOS in Windows.

The computer uses the system's UART to make function calls to this device, and windows has problems controlling the UART in a DOS shell environment.
One other point might be your cable assy. Are you using the DB-9(RS-232) or a USB connection for programming?
Older machines may not be compatible for use with USB ports, and the fact you are using a 'ribless' cable. Ribless actually means the 'RIB' is integral to the connector shell, and not externally added. They derive power directly from the DB-9 connector and not via batery or wall cube as the RLN-4008 series does(both). Borrow a Polaris or even a Circle-M RIB and try that route if possible. The Polaris models are great, I have two and they always work, and the fact they are enclosed in a steel housing provides an extra margin of shielding and ruggedness, and they work with a 9V battery or wall adaptor, but have DB-25 connections on both radio and computer ports.
michiel sanders
New User
What radios do you own?: astro saber, gp380, xts3000

Post by michiel sanders »

KG4INW wrote:
Shuttle wrote:I stumbled upon a few local (European) Visars a few years back that wouldn't program with the Visar rss. I had to use HT1000 or JT1000 rss if I recall correctly.
HT1000/JT1000 RSS is Visar RSS. All 3 in one. Perhaps there's another RSS for the Visars? I don't believe there is but there could be regional issues.
For the european visars you need the GP900 software.
GP380 EX Uhf, GP340 EX Uhf, GP340 Uhf, GP1280 Uhf
Astro Saber I Uhf, Xts3000R I Vhf
Saber III Uhf, Saber III Vhf
GM1280 Uhf, GM380 Vhf
Stornophone CQF9000 Uhf
lancerice

Post by lancerice »

hello, i am using just dos and i am also using gp900 R06.06.00 rss, it will read the radio but not write as the patch 007 cannot open, the file is there on the computer

thank you very much for all your help so far but I still can't get it to write to the radio
Will

Post by Will »

Check the attributes of the RSS files. A read only can prevent the software from working properly.
lancerice

Post by lancerice »

attributes of the RSS files were read only, changing this worked, thank you all for your help

lance

Return to “Radio Programming”