XTS5000 FDNY Knob replacement

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radios4bill
What radios do you own?: XTL5000, APX7000, Astro Saber

XTS5000 FDNY Knob replacement

Post by radios4bill »

Hi Group; I am looking for some help. I am wanting to replace my factory XTS5000 volume know with the FDNY replacement knob. Is it easy to replace? and do I just need the knob? Thanks, Bill
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: XTS5000 FDNY Knob replacement

Post by Tom in D.C. »

All you need is the knob, but the installation operation can be difficult. At least it was for me and I'm no stranger to Saber and similar knob changes. One thing I've never done when changing to an FDNY knob on an XTS is to put some soap (just a dab) on the white insert that's on the metal shaft. I think if you did that it would probably help quite a bit. Be sure that the radio is turned off, then orient the knob's indicator line to the approximate OFF position, then push it as hard as necessary to get it seated properly.

Getting the old knob off can be a chore as well. I've just used a small screwdriver with a sharpened blade to pry around the knob's base. Once you get the old knob moving it'll come off pretty easily.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

Pick up a couple extra inexpensive inserts as well, Sometimes removing the original knob can make the FDNY knob lose when installing it.
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

If you have the metal chassis-opening tool for the XTS2500, the knob-slot on the other end is truly indispensable for getting the old ones off to do the FDNY change.

I agree with Tom that pushing the new knobs onto the inserts can require a LOT of force (if the inserts are in good condition).
Scott, W2SJW
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I usually place the new knob in proper alignment, then grasp the radio and push the knob against a desk instead of trying to push the knob itself. Hundreds later, muy bueno
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Speaking of these FDNY knobs, are they really worth getting ? They seem to be a PITA to get on/off, but I know some folks who swear by them. Anyone care to comment on how you like the FDNY knob vs. standard volume knob ? Is it worth the hassle to switch out the standard one for the FDNY ?
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

They are. When I have a pair of firefighting gloves on they really do help. I wish they would make a version of this for the channel selector on the commander mic.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

For those wondering how to get an old XTS volume knob off, and the new FDNY knob on, here is a video I found while searching on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1zhHw7GikQ

Thought that would help a few people out.
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

That's a useful video, but it's easier to do the installation if you first turn the radio off and then orient the FDNY knob's indicator to
the OFF indicator on the case and then slide the knob onto the plastic spacer.

I've done three of these installs and I've NEVER had an FDNY knob go on to the radio as easily as it did in this video.
Tom in D.C.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Ya, I noticed that too. His knob also came off SUPER easy as well. Too easy in fact.

I just tried for the heck of it, to try to get my (standard) volume knob off my 5000, and I could NOT get it to budge with just my pulling on it with my two fingers. I had to get a tool (that little blade on the back of my SwissChamp Swiss Army Knife worked perfectly) to lift up the knob about 180* from the white volume marker on the knob (doing it in the OFF position only !) and I managed to finally wiggle the knob up, off the plastic insert.

I already ordered the FDNY Volume knob, I should get it probably on Monday. People seem to REALLY like the bigger volume knob. I originally thought they looked very out of place/goofy but the extra grip I guess really comes in handy. Plus I'm finding the "stock" volume knob is a bit small.

New Update -
I just received my FDNY Volume Knob today. So, I popped the old rubber knob off (it came off rather easy, doing the described method above), and I put the new knob on. Now, getting the FDNY knob on was a BIG PITA. It aligned up no problems, but getting it to slide all the way DOWN ( no matter how much force I would use to press down on the knob, I would still be left with 1 - 2mm of space left to get yet ). I finally managed to get the knob completely on by spinning the volume control around (with the new knob partially on), and after I wiggled it around a bit, it finally "clicked" into place all the way down the insert.

But ya, VERY happy with the new knob. There is no comparison between the two.
tomsdad

Post by tomsdad »

Can somebody point me to a supplier of the FDNY knobs?

I'm also after a XRS chassis removal tool as well.

Cheers!
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Best supplier is Escomm. Contact him via PM on this Board. Others have them on eBay but for more money. He might also have the tool you asked about.
Tom in D.C.
tomsdad

Post by tomsdad »

G'day Tom, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll PM Sandy and enquire.

Cheers!
S_Holmes
New User
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by S_Holmes »

Not to bring up a thread from a few months ago.. But I ordered an xts3000 and the FDNY knob too..they showed up the same day I was stocked, I absolutely love the FDNY knob I ordered it off ebay from sandy communications over in Cali I think after shipping it cost be around 15 bucks but it also came with a new insert I didn't use it but I have it just in case.
Scott Holmes
KC2OBW
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Sandy Communications IS ESCOMM, FYI. (Well, maybe not him personally, but from the same company :) ).

But yes, I LOVE the FDNY knob. I don't know how I've managed without it on my other XTS radios for so long. When I finally upgraded to the XTS5000 (thanks to N7MAQ !), I also decided to go with the FDNY volume knob that everyone has been talking about. WHAT A DIFFERNCE !! The radio just looks plain weird with the stock volume knob now lol
tomsdad

Post by tomsdad »

MT2000 man wrote:Sandy Communications IS ESCOMM, FYI. (Well, maybe not him personally, but from the same company :) ).

But yes, I LOVE the FDNY knob. I don't know how I've managed without it on my other XTS radios for so long. When I finally upgraded to the XTS5000 (thanks to N7MAQ !), I also decided to go with the FDNY volume knob that everyone has been talking about. WHAT A DIFFERNCE !! The radio just looks plain weird with the stock volume knob now lol
AGREED! I purchased 2 from Sandy (international postage? No Problem!;-) and they arrived within about 10 days, put one on my XTS5000 and the other on my 3000.

The 3000 is my "working radio" that I use everyday, bloody fanatastic that I can adjust the volume with my structural gloves on;-)

Money well spent!
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

Does anyone know of a larger replacement mode knob for the APX7000 ? The first generation knobs are no longer available.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

If anyone is dumb enough there is one on Ebay with a Buy it now of $50.. for .03 worth of plastic..
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

FireCpt809 wrote:If anyone is dumb enough there is one on Ebay with a Buy it now of $50.. for .03 worth of plastic..
Is it secretly Motorola selling it?!!!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”