Jedi portables - MTS2000 - poor PTT click - any fixes?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Jedi portables - MTS2000 - poor PTT click - any fixes?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have recently acquired a VHF Jedi (MTS2000/MT2000/GP900 etc) which is in mint condition BUT the PTT does not have a nice firm "click". Instead its very "spongy", you have to press quite hard and you are never sure that you are pressing hard enough to TX.

I have seen this before in some of my other Jedi's. One handset used to have a very nice firm click until I opened the radio. When I put it back together, the PTT was very poor. However, I reopened the radio several times and eventually I got the very nice firm PTT click back.

I do not believe that my latest Jedi has every been opened. But maybe the PCB just needs to be slightly repositioned so that the PTT lines up perfect with the PCB switch?

Is a poor PTT click a common problem? Can just slightly repositioning the PCB (by opening the radio) get the firm click back?

Thanks
fineshot1

Re: Jedi portables - MTS2000 - poor PTT click - any fixes?

Post by fineshot1 »

The PCB can not be repositioned. It sits in the back plate frame and is held in place pretty tight once its all
put back together and buttoned up.

The problem is the rubber/plastic push button stub which makes contact with the flex button is worn
short and is usually fixed with a new one.
fineshot1
NJ USA
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

My Jedi portable is mint - so I don't think there will be any wear on the PTT stub??

It feels more like the PTT stub is not "spot on" center of the "popple" flex button so you don't get a nice "pop in and out" when you press the PTT. Maybe its only a tiny fraction out of center so slightly reseating the PCB or side mounting gets the click back...thats what I found on one of my other Jedis that lost its click when I opened the case but got it back after a few "reopenings"
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

The PTT popple is held onto the flex with tape, this can move a bit.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

RadioSouth wrote:The PTT popple is held onto the flex with tape, this can move a bit.
This is the most likely cause if the stub is not worn - i have seen this also but forgot to mention it.

You can gently pry this part of the flex up off the side of the shield and tack it back down in the
correct position but you must be careful and work slow.
fineshot1
NJ USA
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

All of my Jedi's have a little "click" to them when you hit the PTT. Not a nice "click" like the XTS5000's have, but a slightly less noticeable "click" (if that makes any sence lol).
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Most of the time we use packaging tape to hold the poppel in place, the original tape's glue gets gooey and then the poppel slides around.
n3eg
What radios do you own?: HT1550 v/u, XTS2500-3 FPP, etc

Post by n3eg »

Up until they discontinued it a few months ago, I'd use a 3905834K04 contact instead of the original one for a better "pop". I once suggested this to a Motorola engineer, and was told "we can't do it due to migration issues."
The new part number is 3905834K06 with a little less pop. These are smaller than the original contact, but don't move when I use Scotch tape to hold it on.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

So, part of the radios capability to transmit comes down to a hunk of Scotch tape ? A bit scary for a radio commonly used as a life safety device.
n3eg
What radios do you own?: HT1550 v/u, XTS2500-3 FPP, etc

Post by n3eg »

The scotch taped ones never moved. The original Motorola taped ones would move all over the place. Now that's scary.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”