MotoTRBO. You saw it here first!!!!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rodell

Re: MotoTRBO. You saw it here first!!!!

Post by rodell »

The TRBO repeater is analog OR digital, but not both on the same channel at the same time?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

rodell wrote:The TRBO repeater is analog OR digital, but not both on the same channel at the same time?
Correct, there is no "mixed mode" operation. It could not work as the digital modulation is TDMA and is capable of two time slots of information (voice + voice or voice + data)
KMB

Post by KMB »

Could developmental version be programmed?
Thank you!

:o
KMB

Re:

Post by KMB »

wavetar wrote:Here's the mobile accessory connector info:

Could wavetar shows the accessory connect of portable?
Thank you~~~ :o :o
vlcano57

Post by vlcano57 »

how much are we talking starting prices for these things.

ARM for Mobile
Leg for Portable
First Born for both???

They look soo nice, but probably not in the price range for a CT city firefighter huh?
ImageImageImage J. DiPierro Waterford Fire FF/EMT
RKG

Post by RKG »

These radios really aren't designed for a public safety application. Basically, when fully implemented in digital format, you can create logical channels. Channels are "binned" into two groups. At any one time, only one channel in Group A and one channel in Group B can be active -- though one channel in each group can be active simultaneously with one channel in another group -- but if a channel is active in your group and you key, you get a busy signal.

Beyond that, a quirk of digital communications is such that, in simplex mode, a nearby radio may not hear you, though a more distant one will. For this reason, NFPA 1221 had nixed digital voice mode for fireground use.

These are really intended for commercial applications: factories, large warehouse or manufacturing facilities, large agriculture facilities, and the like.

Physically, MT portables are akin to Waris (HT1250) portables, and while the Waris line was never proclaimed to be a public safety grade radio, an awful lot of fire departments use them and find them quite acceptable. HT1250s can be bought for under $1,000 per. If you need an inexpensive FD portable, I'd recommend HT1250s over MotoTRBO portables.
vlcano57

Post by vlcano57 »

thanks.

I had an HT1250 at one time, but of course on a marine alarm, my strap broke and it took a swim
ImageImageImage J. DiPierro Waterford Fire FF/EMT
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Just to let you know have my company has just sold a 100 subscribers with 3 text/gps clients
transistor747
Batboard $upporter

Post by transistor747 »

At the Motorola Road Show in our area recently, /\/\ was showing a Rf amplifier for the mototrbo repeaters. I questioned them about it because when I got a license for my demo system I was under the impression that 40 watts on UHF was a limit imposed by the FCC. The /\/\ amp is designed to increase that to 100 watts.

Which leads me to this question:
Has anyone tried any amp on a TRBO system in digital mode? What was the result?
Thanks!
"The state of the art may well have exceeded the state of the need"
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

transistor747 wrote:....I was under the impression that 40 watts on UHF was a limit imposed by the FCC. The /\/\ amp is designed to increase that to 100 watts....
There is no FCC rule limiting the UHF business/p.s bands to 40 watts.
Terry
transistor747
Batboard $upporter

Post by transistor747 »

I am referring to the emission designator 7K60FXD and 7K60FXE. When we went for coordination, EWA told us the FCC was not licensing these over 48 watts anyplace in the country.
At least, thats the way I remember it. I'd have no problem if proved wrong.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

our demo repeater (with 12 subscribers) and our latest sale have a 100 watt P.A. on them from Crescend Technologies and we havent had a lick of problems with them. model p10-20HA1-CS-001
transistor747
Batboard $upporter

Post by transistor747 »

Is that running in analog or digital?
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

digital all the way, the demo has the Locator GPS, and TMS services running works great!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

transistor747 wrote:EWA told us the FCC was not licensing these over 48 watts anyplace in the country.
EWA didn't know the emissions designators until 3 months after trbo was released. They seem more concerned with sending out their weekly spam than getting applications submitted.

I googled and found a couple licenses with 90W power 7K60FXE and 7K60FXD, FWIW.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Just FYI...

There's now a MotoTRBO repeater on VHF in Chicagoland. Don't have the frequency off hand but it's up. I'm going to try and set the XPR on it and see how it works once I get more info..
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Whoops, my bad. UHF.

444.65 , TRBO CC 11
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

OK so does anyone know anything about this:

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/idas/system/index.html

Looks like Icom's answer to MotoTrbo. It's not D-STAR, the air interface is compatible with Kenwood's NXDN see:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/News/News_012808/

I wonder how these products are going to duke it out in the market?
KOMATSU
New User

Post by KOMATSU »

Anyone have any info on linking trbo repeaters on the internet yet
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

KOMATSU wrote:Anyone have any info on linking trbo repeaters on the internet yet
The ethernet port is supposed to be enabled in the next round of major firmware releases, supposedly Q3 of '08.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
JJG

Post by JJG »

Hey.

I'm doing a proposal to upgrade our fleet to this system - wondering if someone in the know can toss me a PM with a ballpark price on the components [MSRP and the usual selling price for a few units.... {if less than MSRP}]- 4350's, 4500's, 4550's, 6550's and the repeaters?

Many Many Many Thanks!!!

ps. we're looking at a fleet system of almost 800 mobiles, 10 bases and at least 8 repeaters....so going with MSRP I'm sure I'll look like a saint when we manage to get to the negotiating stage.....
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Some thoughts:

The software was written by a script kiddie with little apparent input from anyone who actually programs radios.

Adding channels is a pain in the ass, and there is no function to add multiple channels at once. Channels cannot be inserted (although the assignment list can be edited).

Maximum of 16 analog channels per zone (this is 2008 Motorola, not 1994, OK?)

At least cloning personalities is possible although it's a bit of a hassle. RSS did a better job of this 15 years ago.

Scan list creation is not very user friendly and it's evident that this was quickly glanced over and no real attention paid to it. Selected channel cannot be removed the scan list, so in reality the maximum scan list size is 15 channels. The commercial series (CP200) do not require the selected channel to be in the scan list.

You cannot use the same channel name twice. CPS pukes an error when you do.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

escomm wrote: You cannot use the same channel name twice. CPS pukes an error when you do.

What the hell? How did that one get by?
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

I feel a GCC coming on. :)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

ve3nsv wrote:I feel a GCC coming on. :)
Done and done :D
RKG

Post by RKG »

Rayjk110 wrote:
escomm wrote: You cannot use the same channel name twice. CPS pukes an error when you do.

What the hell? How did that one get by?
I think this illustrates an important conception element of MotoTRBO, of which I've now done two systems.

"Channels" in MotoTRBO are purely a logical concept. They share this with trunked talkgroups, but trunked talkgroups (once implemented by a group call channel grant) are then translated into physical voice channels. Not so in MotoTRBO.

As a result, "channels" in MotoTRBO are simply the equivalent of a private call, akin to a SelCall, address to a group of user IDs. This is why they are in "Contacts" and are grouped there with individual contact info.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Can anyone enlighten me on how to do aliasing beyond 16 members with these radios in digital mode?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

rizla
New User

Post by rizla »

Hello all in Batland.

Mototrbo is really becoming a pain in the ass.
All our customers love it when our sales team demo it, that is until they ask for .....
Emergency operations ala Pro series, can't do that,
How about lone worker, no that doesn't work yet either.
Call alert on group call, err....no.
Preset alert level, no.
To top it off, this week I have been trying to strangle some sort of activity out of pin 21 (channel activity), this doesn't work either!!!
My question: Is everyone around the world having these issues or is it just Europe that has useless firmware in all TRBO radios? Sorry for the rant, but it's getting beyond a joke when a digital system can't do what analogue radios have done for years. :o
Been a Batlab viewer for years, thought I'd better join the party!! .........Chris (frustrated radio 'eng), UK
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

rizla wrote: To top it off, this week I have been trying to strangle some sort of activity out of pin 21 (channel activity), this doesn't work either!!!
If you mean getting a COR in digital mode, you're right! It will work in analog mode, but not with earlier firmware.

rizla
New User

Post by rizla »

Cheers Wavetar,
Thanks for the reply.

I don't suppose you know when this is likely to be fixed, I've spoken to Mrola engineering HQ in England who have now passed me on to some others tekkies in Denmark and Germany, they acted as if it really wasn't a problem they were aware of!
I've been instructing our sales guys not to oversell TRBO's emergency facility as it falls way short compared to GP pro series, but this lack of digital COR signal is going to cause me BIG problems, I guess it's time to scrap the warranty and get the soldering iron out and try to provide a COR line for myself :lol:
Anybody out there got a work around for this?

Thanks folks

Chris
KMB

Re:

Post by KMB »

n1das wrote:
Johnny Galaga wrote:I've read other threads on here that it's really hard to get Motorola to sell you the CPS. Is that still true with these new radios?
M technically won't ever SELL you the CPS or any CPS for that matter because the CPS like any other software product is LICENSED, not SOLD to you. When M approves you for the General License or higher-level license for the HT/CDM series CPS, it's a software license agreement that you've been approved for.

Just like when you buy any software product (Microsoft Word for example) for your PC, the software is technically LICENSED, not SOLD to you. You technically don't OWN it. The money you pay is for the software license and permission to use the software according to the terms in Software License Agreement that comes with it.

Just thought I'd clear up this common misconception.

Re: Moto TRBO: *DROOL*

I suspect it shouldn't be any harder to get the TRBO CPS than any other CPS if the General License agreement is all that's required.

*DROOL*

Could any tell me how to purchase MotoTRBO CPS for XPR6550 legally outside US?
maelv
What radios do you own?: DP3601

Buy mototrbo CPS outside US

Post by maelv »

KMB wrote:

I have bought the mototrbo cps for the euro versions of the XPR6550 aka DP3601 in united kingdom at this dealer
http://www.relcom.co.uk they have an online shop but the CPS is NOT in the online shop but you need to contact a person named JEZ

But this CPS is for the Euro version of the mototrbo line. NOT the US version and i dont know if it will work with XPR6550

Maelv...
randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

Is there a way to program the MT mobile so it acts like a CSQ receiver in the good ole days of analog receiving all digital MT transmissions?
KMB

Re: Buy mototrbo CPS outside US

Post by KMB »

maelv wrote:
KMB wrote:

I have bought the mototrbo cps for the euro versions of the XPR6550 aka DP3601 in united kingdom at this dealer
http://www.relcom.co.uk they have an online shop but the CPS is NOT in the online shop but you need to contact a person named JEZ

But this CPS is for the Euro version of the mototrbo line. NOT the US version and i dont know if it will work with XPR6550

Maelv...
Thank you for your information, Maelv.
8)
RKG

Post by RKG »

randy52644 wrote:Is there a way to program the MT mobile so it acts like a CSQ receiver in the good ole days of analog receiving all digital MT transmissions?
I don't believe you can do "CSQ" in the receiver end. However, you can program a subscriber for an "all call" channel, which when transmitted on will be received by all units.
VR2WTF
was likimkim - 1 Warning for RSS/CPS

Post by VR2WTF »

What is the lastest version of MotoTRBO CPS?
Thank you!
8)
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

VR2WTF wrote:What is the lastest version of MotoTRBO CPS?
Thank you!
8)
3.0 released Nov 17, 2007

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
VR2WTF
was likimkim - 1 Warning for RSS/CPS

Post by VR2WTF »

Thanks TPG,

Is it Build 80?

Thank you!

WTF
Tinker'r

MOTOTRBO CPS 3.5 (Build 88)

Post by Tinker'r »

April 30, 2008 MOTOTRBO CPS Version 3.5 (Build 88) was released.

Tinker'r
Tinker'r

Mototrbo CPS 3.5B (Build 88)

Post by Tinker'r »

On April 30, 2008 MOTOTRBO CPS Version 3.5 (Build 88) was released.

Now Motorola has released MOTOTRBO CPS Version 3.5B, which is the same CPS version. The reason for version B is . . . plain old Version 3.5 would not install on some machines, especially with Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Again, version 3.5 is the same as version 3.5B, it's just that 3.5B has an installation fix if you were unable to install the original version 3.5.

Tinker'r
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Check this OUT!!!

MTR2000 800/900 MHz now available on MOL

# Effective Immediately 800 and 900 MHz MTR2000 is now available on the dealer price pages Sell add on channels to existing 800/900 conventional and SMARTNET™ Trunking customers
# MTR2000 to MTR3000 upgrade kits will be available to support MOTOTRBO platforms
# MOTOTRBO Conventional, Capacity Plus, IP Site Connect & MOTOTRBO Trunking
# Frequency bands UHF (Jan 2010), 800/900 MHz (Sep 2010) and VHF (Jan 2011)
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus Trunking Capability Expanded !

Additional testing has confirmed that the recently launched Capacity Plus Trunking system will reliably accommodate even more users. It has been proven to support 12 time slots of voice communication (6 repeaters) and 24 slots for data revert transmission (12 repeaters) using the existing Capacity Plus firmware. That's capacity for 1200+ radios! Training materials will be updated to reflect these changes in the coming days.
dsheli

Post by dsheli »

Does anyone see Motorola releasing a multi-site Capacity plus system in the near future?
David
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

From what I am hearing they are shooting for Q2 2010
randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

This is off topic somewhat......does anyone have a 8300 repeater on a ham radio frequency using IP Site Connect?
motorolaaustralia

Post by motorolaaustralia »

Yes, there is a group on Yahoo Groups called "mototrbo".

They discuss MotoTRBO use for amateur radio.
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

dsheli wrote:Does anyone see Motorola releasing a multi-site Capacity plus system in the near future?
David
Day Wireless implemented a wide-are TRBO system down in Oregon:

http://www.daywirelessnews.com/?p=157
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

mikegilbert wrote:
dsheli wrote:Does anyone see Motorola releasing a multi-site Capacity plus system in the near future?
David
Day Wireless implemented a wide-are TRBO system down in Oregon:

http://www.daywirelessnews.com/?p=157
According to the link, that's a conventional-only 'IP Site Connect' system. Not a 'Connect Plus' multi-site trunked system as dsheli was asking. 'Connect Plus' is available for order since August, and will be shipping by sometime in November, I believe.

com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

We already have a couple of demo packages here. The first customer system arrives in a week or so...
Jim1348

MotoTRBO. You Saw It Here First!!!!

Post by Jim1348 »

I am still coming up to speed on Moto TRBO, so please be gentle if this has been discussed already. I just started work last week at a place that just switched to Moto TRBO. If I understand correctly a previous post here, the repeaters are Moto TRBO only; no mixed mode operation, right? What about the portables? Can they be programmed for both analog and Moto TRBO and scan across both seamlessly? I guess for that matter, what about just Moto TRBO scanning on a transceiver? Does it behave similar to analog scanning or is it not as robust? Say for example, can you have dual level priority or just single level priority?

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”