Saber X Question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ka8ypy

Saber X Question

Post by ka8ypy »

Will an Astro Saber work in a Saber X??

For those that don't know, a Saber X is to the Saber what a PX300 was to the MX.

Thanks,

Dan
kb3jkp
Banned

Post by kb3jkp »

astro saber is taller, and the pinout is different....

try it...see what happens...

but bring it to me first,lol
thomasm9

Saber X

Post by thomasm9 »

There are four models of Saber X's . Two of them are for Systems Sabers and two are for Astro Sabers. Of the two for Systems Sabers models one of them has a telephone style handset and the other has a speaker/mic control head, the same thing applies for the Astro versions. Be careful about puting the wrong model into the Saber X, it may cause a failure to the power supply inside.
Tom Moran
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

Tom,

Thanks for the info...Any Idea how to tell them apart in regards to Astro or System Saber??

DB
thomasm9

Re: Saber X Question

Post by thomasm9 »

DB,

Model numbers. I have a manual for the Saber-X and Astro-X and there is a table of six different model numbers. I don't have access to the manual right now but I could get you numbers if you want. They appear to be variations for the systems Saber and Astro Saber. Some versions have hand held control heads and some handsets only. There is a version of the Astor-X out hat uses a W3 type hand held control head.

Tom
Tom Moran
k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Post by k5hdm »

I would LOVE to find an ASTRO X.. I have the manual also and they look really neat!
-Harmon - K5HDM
http://www.k5hdm.com
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

If you want a really fast way to tell them apart from the outside, The Saber-X has a 12 channel knob, the Astro-X has a 16 channel knob.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

resqguy911 wrote:If you want a really fast way to tell them apart from the outside, The Saber-X has a 12 channel knob, the Astro-X has a 16 channel knob.
Both my Saber-X's have a 16ch knob since it was intended for Systems Sabers. There was an Astro-X on ebay recently and one outward difference that I noted was that there was a red emergency button on the top.

One thing I have not been able to get an answer on is whether or not the Handset and HHCH mics are interchangable. Mine has a handset mic, but I would LOVE to be able to change zones.
Jake
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

NSPD wrote:
resqguy911 wrote:If you want a really fast way to tell them apart from the outside, The Saber-X has a 12 channel knob, the Astro-X has a 16 channel knob.
Both my Saber-X's have a 16ch knob since it was intended for Systems Sabers. There was an Astro-X on ebay recently and one outward difference that I noted was that there was a red emergency button on the top.

One thing I have not been able to get an answer on is whether or not the Handset and HHCH mics are interchangable. Mine has a handset mic, but I would LOVE to be able to change zones.
Good point, I forgot about the easily forgotten about systems model...
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
RFI-EMI-GUY

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

I know this is a very old thread, but I have never seen one of these and would like to find one. Is there really such a thing as a Saber X transportable? Pictures and part numbers please?

I should clarify, we have all seen the silver Zero Haliburton cases with a vehicular adaptor and power amp. I am asking about anything resembling a Motorola PX300 "pack set"/ "Lunch Box".
TV DINNER BY THE POOL, IM SO GLAD I FINISHED SCHOOL. FZ
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:I know this is a very old thread, but I have never seen one of these and would like to find one. Is there really such a thing as a Saber X transportable? Pictures and part numbers please?

I should clarify, we have all seen the silver Zero Haliburton cases with a vehicular adaptor and power amp. I am asking about anything resembling a Motorola PX300 "pack set"/ "Lunch Box".

Yes, they were a real thing, I used the System Saber version when I was stationed in WHCA back in the early 90's, when they transitioned from the MX340s to System Sabers.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

I use and love the one I still have.

I wish I could find an Astro version.
Jake
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

NSPD wrote:I use and love the one I still have.

I wish I could find an Astro version.
I you happen to find a regular one, please let me know, I stopped looking for a while but have recently started looking again. Likewise I am also looking for an Astro version as well, so will let you know if I find an air and a spare.
Gtaman

Post by Gtaman »

Anyone have pics of these radios?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”