MSF-5000 UHF freq ranges available? Can they be retuned?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ve7khz

MSF-5000 UHF freq ranges available? Can they be retuned?

Post by ve7khz »

Hi Group,

I am going to look at my first MSF-5000 and would like to know what freq ranges were available for this repeater. Fellow says it is currently on 410MHz. Can this unit be moved to 440 Ham band? I will get the model # Thursday, along with more details. I would like to use it in the 440-450 range.

I also have an MSR2000 UHF but don't know how to tell what split it is. Can somebody please step up and let me know how to tell what split I have?

I have read many posts here in the last 2 or 3 weeks and all I can say is WOW! There is a vast wealth of experience and help on this board.

Look forward to your replies.

Cheers!
Paul
VE7KHz
Last edited by ve7khz on Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Post by Doug »

Hello Paul,
The MSF in the uhf variety has two ranges
range 1 = 403-435 mhz rf tray #TUE2001A
range 2 = 435-475 mhz rf tray #TUE2002A
I personally have never tried stretching a range 1 up to the ham bands, my gut tells me it wont work. I have a funny feeling that even if you can get operating there that the sensitivity on the receiver would suck (I would probably get better response out of my teen age sons)
There are also differences with the PA or at least the book mentions two different models per output range.
I do know one thing for sure you won't have to wait long for a response from the MSF Guru's
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
I was working on a UHF MSF PA yesterday.
I think that the amplifier could be up-banded.
I think that each amplifier module would have to be tuned individually.
The parts list has hi and lo split parts value, and does not specifically forbid retuning, as it does replacing the transistor.

The output circulator is another problem. There is no information
on parts or tuning for this assembly. The original specs call for about a 40 meg band width. For ham use we only need one channel, so I see no problem in retuning the circulator.

The VCO is another matter.
The VCO in the low split UHF is the same as used in the 800Meg stations. The High split UHF VCO is also used in 900Meg stations.
They are physically different.
It may be possible to up band it slightly.

I don't know about the injection filter or the pre-selector casting.

Sooner or later one of these will drop in my lap, and I will see if I can figure it out.
Aloha, Bernie

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”