Centracom II to Gold Elite...what can we throw away?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Centracom II to Gold Elite...what can we throw away?

Post by Pj »

Ok, we are about to do our 2nd phase of the digital project.

At the same time, I am trying to weasle in a new dispatch room for us. The fear is moving all the cables. It is my understanding that since its a LAN system, all those large cables to the current console would no longer be nessesary since it now network cable.

Is this true, and what would be involved? Would any of the CEB to CC2 Console cables be reused?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
xmo

Post by xmo »

Large cables?

One of the advantages of the CentracomII series has always been that most of the connections to the outside world are made to & from the Central Electronics Bank.

Normally each operator position connects to the CEB with a single 7-pair cable. These are about 5/16" in diameter [which I don't clasify as large]

If you have a lot of big [e.g. 25 pair] cables running to your operator positions, they may be for other stuff that is co-located.

The bad news for you is that the network cable for the Elite console is in addition to whatever other cables are required. [in other words - the 7-pair cables are still used]

Actually - if you are putting in a new dispatch room - just order new 7-pair cables and pull them along with the network cables.
larrybl

Post by larrybl »

We recently upgraded from CCII to Elite, and I had many of the same questions. My upgrade experience was good though. We orginally had seven B/L consoles. and funds became available to renovate the dispatch center (located in the basement of the PD building). along with the renovation, the center was to be moved asross the hall to a larger room. The Consoles were to be upgraded, and two more added. The first thing I did was purchace all new 7 pr cables, and a lot of CAT-5. While the renovation was taking place we ran the new cables, The CEB did not move, and we just droped the cables at each position, and into the CEB. To accomidate training on the NEW consoles, we set up four positions in the hall way between the old center and new, these were live units. So at that point, we were running the old B/L in the old center, and New Gold Elite in the hall way, and had the new center pre-wired. From that point on it was just a matter of moving the PC into the new center, swaping the 7 Pr and connicting the Cat-5.
Now to answer your question, We kept the orginal Card Cages, and power supplies, If you are using the old OMI cards with AEI's you will need to replace them with COIM's, Everything but AEI's and IO's will need upgraded.
Larry

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”