What mic is this for?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

52eddie

What mic is this for?

Post by 52eddie »

Hey,

I recently was given an Astro mic for a AVA I believe but i'm not sure. Part# YMN4016B not found during a search and i don't have one of those handy dandy M accounts online to search it either. Anyone can tell me what this mic is for? it's got keypad, volume, mode and programable buttons on it along with the home/zone ones too. On top it has the Pwr, emergncy button & secure button. Oh and the plug is std computer 25pin. Mebe it's for Spectras? lemme know thx!

-chris
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

not for AVA. That would be PLN XXXX

not for xtva either.

methinks you have a special HHCH for the dual band astro spectra setup.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
52eddie

Post by 52eddie »

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Judging by the keypad layout & such, it would appear to be the equivalent of the Astro Spectra W3 head for an MCS2000 Model III or it's overseas equivalent...just a guess though.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
batdude

hmmm

Post by batdude »

actually, i take that back.

the 1 key on your keypad says ST

that's SINGLE TONE

now i am thinking thats for some euro variant....

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
52eddie

Post by 52eddie »

oh sorry about that, i scaled down the original pic to save space, but i guess it sacrafised some clarity. The 1 key actually sez: 1 Q Z. I'll post up the original pics to review.

If i recall, the Saber SVA had a handheld mic that could control the radio while it was in the base. Wouldn't this be similar for the Astro Sabers or XTS?

-c
batdude

hmm

Post by batdude »

the plot thickens.

based on your model # (YLN) - this number is almost EXCLUSIVELY used by /\/\ when assigning numbers to one-off gov't only radio systems.

the old spectra dual band HHCH with the SIU also used the same numbering scheme.

so - question is... does anyone have the manuals for the new astro spectra HHCH dual band setup?

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Well, the head certainly looks like the XTVA HHCH...different part number though. Check out this post for some pics:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... light=hhch

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
52eddie

Post by 52eddie »

Definately an interesting development. Thanks all for your investigative work! Now I'm wondering what's the difference between this & the XTS XTVA? The XTS' doesn't have the 3 programable buttons on the side or Power/Emergency/Encrypt buttons???

Oh to quench the inquisitiveness of you all, this HHCH was surplused from a G agency, but that's all I know. I dunno what it was connected to or even who used it. I was just interested in what I could use it with: spectra / XTSVA etc.

-c
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Ive got a XTSVA and your mike looks similar, however the plug is wrong. Yours looks like its for a spectra

Fowler
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

ASTRO SENECA?

Post by radioinstl »

could this be the HHCH for the famed but rare ASTRO SENECA used by the FBI? it looks like it?
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

The YMN4016A dates from a gov't purchase in 1999. It is just a Astro W3 HHC with customer spec'd buttons.
52eddie

Post by 52eddie »

So I guess you can assume it'd only work with astro spectras? I plugged it into a regular astro at work and it wouldn't work. :roll:
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

It will only work on an Astro Spectra W3. The comms protocol to the A5/7/9 VFD heads is different from that used for the W3.

By the way there is no W3 Spectra - it would be an A3.
olderookie
What radios do you own?: APX6000, XTS5000, Astro Saber

Post by olderookie »

not that I know anything but it looks like the hideout mic's I have seen in federal cars. a shot in the dark from an unuducated mind?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”