Saber PSM- connector type???

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Saber PSM- connector type???

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Hi,

I'm in the process of chopping up some parts fpr an experiment:

Using a Jedi/Saber PSM in a waris radio. (Yes, I've been taking my meds!)

Long story short: Everything is assembled and works as far as audio goes, of course the tough part is routing the Rf to the mic-- still not a problem.

On the radio side I'm using an adapter (Gp300 type to BNC to put on the radio) I've split the RF cable from the PSM (separated it from the other wires) and I'm going to solder a matching BNC connector.

So far, so good.

Now comes the Mic. head question, Initially I was going to replace whatever type of connector is mounted inside of the mic, and replace it with a Bnc chassis mount. (for more choices of antenna's -Vhf)

BUT what kind of connector is this on the PSM anyway? Local radio (ham) guy says he has nothing that will fit it as is (thus the change to Bnc) I was under the impression that it was an sma type (reverse of the jedi antenna) but apparently not.

Any ideas/ thoughts?

Thanks, John
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Connector...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The "almost" standard antenna connector on a Motorola PS speaker/microphone is a TNC.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Thanks Tom, I guess the ham stuff is generally sma, I looked at using a Comet model# ht-255 -- looked perfect exept its SMA, Damn !!!

Maybe I'll try installing a TNC female chassis mount in the mic instead of the BNC,

Any recommendations for a source for such an item? Rat shack is so totally useless, its hard to believe they are still in business they have NOTHING in the way of parts anymore.

Thanks, John
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I wonder how that's going to play with no ground reference running straight from the antenna port?

mancow
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Well, didn't think of that but aren't I simply "extending" the antenna from its normal place?

Where is the "ground reference" normally on that radio in particular, its not like a jedi connector ( i think)

-Any ideas?

John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”