Silicone spray ok for housings?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Silicone spray ok for housings?

Post by JOHN 1807 »

I was spraying my trucks door gaskets with pure silicone spray the other day (to prevent them from freezing-stuck)

I read the uses listed on the side of the can and it mentions preserving plastics/vinyl/rubber etc...

So I'm wondering if anyone knows FOR SURE if it would be ok to shine up housings on Moto portables ?

I've heard that petrolium based products can be damaging to some plastics but I'm pretty sure there is nothing "petrolium based" about silicone spray ?

I know there was a thread a long while back about what people use to shine/protect their radio housings including everything from armorall to WD40 but I don't recall anything about silicone.

Any thoughts? ( I like to keep my Moto's shiney new! )
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

I've used silicone spray on my Astro Sabers / Saber and I have never had a problem. It keeps them looken new.

Dan..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

I've used Armor All and rubbing alcohol on my HT600s, MT1000 and GP300 with good results.

The rubbing alcohol got all the grime, dirt, smudge and all other crap.

Armor All gave the radios a new shine and softer feel.

Wow. That almost sounds like a hair commercial.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Cool !

Gonna give'em both a try.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Make sure you're using 100% pure silicon spray, not silicon lubricant. Silicon lubricant is usually similar to WD-40 and contains solvents, and much of it will attack plastic.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

WD40 will also attract more dirt.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

WD-40 is better at expelling water from places... i have something that i use the -40 to loosen up, once it gets nice and free, then i go and give it some good grease or penetrating grease to make sure it stays loose.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
jim

Post by jim »

Silicone or Armor All.....hope you have a GOOD grip on the radio after application :lol:
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

BTW, this should be a no-brainer, but just to make sure: don't directly spray the radio with any of the above. Instead, spray it onto a rag, and give the radio a good wipe-down with it.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
CBP_LB
What radios do you own?: XTS3000-III UHF

Post by CBP_LB »

CAR/TRUCK DASH WIPES..... 8)
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

In Loving Memory; We miss you DAD!
http://iaff935.org/index.cfm?section=8&pagenum=264
n3kvp
Batboard $upporter

Post by n3kvp »

For years I have been using Automotive "Detail" spray trade names: RE-NU or Stoner's "Trim Shine" from Pep Boys, spray on and either leave for a while or wipe off, it is a little better than "Armor All" as most Armor All type products warn against using on plastic lenses as it will cloud the lense, as the Dash Trim type products are made for this, and wont harm any plastics. and it is made to spray right on the car radio & clock face plates and knob area without damage and doesnt need to be wiped off.
Butch
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Thanks all, yup, using 100% pure silicone spray (onto a rag)
prc148

shine for radios

Post by prc148 »

i use since many years it's call turtle wax 2001 and let me tell you with this products we restore ours radios before leaving the shop to a customer

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”