Stolen Radio

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mokena208

Stolen Radio

Post by mokena208 »

Not sure if this is the right topic or not, but my department had a radio stolen some time in the last 24-48 hours.

Here's the info....
Motorola HT-1250
Ser # 749TBJ1368
It may have a Village Of Mokena brass tag # of 39220123

If found please call Mokena Police Department at 708/479-3915 and ask for Detective Barna.

Or contact Mokena Emergency Services at 708/479-3922 and ask for Director McElyea

I will keep an eye on e-Bay but if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to pass them on.

Thanks.
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Where is the Village Of Mokena?
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

From the area code it looks to be:

Illinois, US (Area south of Chicago that includes Chicago Heights, Palatine and Waukegan)
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

I was away from the computer for a little bit.... Mokena is Southside of Chicago. In Will County, nearest major city would be Joliet. Any help is greatly appreciated, as you all know!
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

Illinois, US (Area south of Chicago that includes Chicago Heights, Palatine and Waukegan)
Just to avoid confusion, Palatine and Waukegan are significanty north of Chicago. In fact, Waukegan is not far from the Wisconsin state line.
jbxx
Batboard $upporter

Post by jbxx »

You might want to post it here http://www.genesisworld.com/StolenRadios/
its a pretty good database.
P.S. I hope that I'm not breaking any forum rules
by posting a link.
J.B. AD6WX
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

jbxx wrote:You might want to post it here http://www.genesisworld.com/StolenRadios/
its a pretty good database.
P.S. I hope that I'm not breaking any forum rules
by posting a link.
J.B. AD6WX
Better yet, put it in the original stolen radio database: NCIC!

Frank
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Well, NCIC is good, but problem is, regular people can't search on it.

If I buy a radio on ebay or a hamfest, there's no way I can tell if it's clean or not, besides going to the police station...and if it turns out that it is stolen, I'm SOL for the radio. Not really that useful.

-M
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

ExKa|iBuR wrote:Well, NCIC is good, but problem is, regular people can't search on it.

If I buy a radio on ebay or a hamfest, there's no way I can tell if it's clean or not, besides going to the police station...and if it turns out that it is stolen, I'm SOL for the radio. Not really that useful.

-M
And the problem with the Genesis stolen radio database is that anybody can enter anything. Suppose someone walks up to your table at a hamfest and looks over your nice clean MTS and pops the battery and somehow remembers your serial number and then decides to be a dick and enter the number in the Global database. Without any fact checking on the database it's useless, nice idea but useless.

Frank
jim

Post by jim »

I'm sure that people will buy a radio even though it's listed as "stolen."

If there was a Saber III on eBay for $100.00 and the SN came up on the database, you can be sure somebody will be the winner of the bid! If the original owner finds the radio on eBay, what are they gonna do? eBay MIGHT pull the item and you are still out of your radio.

Until the radio lands in the hands of law authority, nobody's gonna do anything...nor care.

I have had radios brought in here for programming that I suspected were 'hot', but what could I do. I don't have authority to keep, hold or confiscate it- even if it were on the list.

It only stops the honest purchaser. Unfortuneatly, there are more dishonest than honest.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Let's face it, when something is stolen and resold these days your chances of seeing it again are nill.

The best you can do is get theft insurance on everything and document thoroughly, so when it is stolen you can at least get the insurance money.

I know, as well as a lot of other people do, that there is a fair amount of stolen goods being resold on eBay. To be honest, if i bought a radio and found out it was stolen by the serial number being on some internet site, then its all the more reason for me to keep it until it outlives its usefulness and then i will dispose of it securely. Unless there is a guarantee that i will get reimbursed at the time of turning in the stolen item, highly unlikely, I'm not about to turn my hard earned money into someone else's smile for getting it back.

The old saying, possession is 9/10 of the law applies here. I document all my purchases on eBay, a printout of the auction, a copy of the PayPal receipt, emails to and from the seller, etc. If there ever comes a question about the item i can honestly say that i purchased it fairly. If the seller was offering "hot" items for sale then he is the one that's going to get burned.

We had a similar thing happen last year, some guy showed up at the flea market tables at a local hamfest and started selling HT's rather cheaply. He wasn't a ham, and seemed rather radio ignorant, so many people just assumed that he didn't know the true value and got them cheap. They all turned up as stolen a month later, they were never taken away from the buyers because the insurance companies involved reimbursed the original owners and weren't worried about "some radios".
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Will

Post by Will »

Contact Motorola AAD and ask that they enter the radio into the LSS list.

LSS Lost Stray Stolen

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”