In which I ponder lighting for my truck...

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

akardam

In which I ponder lighting for my truck...

Post by akardam »

After having about a billion and a half thoughts on what I could do about lighting on my truck, I figured I'd bounce it off y'all here and see what you'd recommend.

First off, the requirements are simple. All I need is some rear facing amber lighting. I've considered and dismissed corner strobes and lightbars as being to complicated or expensive.

I've got a camper shell on the truck, so the lighting would hang down inside the rear window of the camper, which is tinted. I had considered a traffic advisor, but one of my requirements was strobe like action, and the 8 element units with strobes on the end is way too wide to fit inside the shell. In addition, the 3rd brake light is mounted at the top edge of the rear window, thus I would have to mount the advisor below that, which would cut down on my rear visibility. So...

What I'm thinking is a pair of dual LED deck style lights, one mounted on each side of the 3rd brake light. They would be permanently mounted, and controlled from the cab. Ideally, I would be able to activate each set independently, and possibly be able to have each set with a different "flash" style.

I have considered units such as the Whelen Talon Double Deck Light TLN2, and the Able2 L.E.D. Dual Light Stick. However, it appears that most lights of this style are the cig lighter plug w/ power and selection switch on the unit style - not exactly what I want.

So, any suggestions?
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

Have you considered mounting the traffic advisor above the camper shell?

What about LEDs flush mounted into the camper shell? They are making these so low-profile you can mount them with out them being very noticable, until you flip the switch.
akardam

Post by akardam »

mikeh,

I've considered mounting stuff outside the shell, but I'd rather not, mostly because this is my personal vehicle, and I use it for regular work, as well as for volunteer communications. Plus, it's just one less through-skin hole to drill. In short, I'd like to stay low key, and like to keep them inside.
fd2119

LEDs

Post by fd2119 »

Have you considered something like 4 TIR3s (going for approx $55/each), and synching say...the inner 2 on one pattern, and synching the other 2 on another pattern? As for drilling holes, I'm sure you could come up with something to minimize any holes.

http://store.yahoo.com/sirennet/newwhtisuled.html
Adam

Post by Adam »

Able2 SlimLights will not pierce tint to any satisfaction.

Amber halogens would certainly do the job, just not to your flash pattern preference.

I think the TIR3s would be a good idea.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Well, we seem to have a consensus here... (sorry, Monty Python reference).

I remember seeing a picture of just the unit, and I always thought that they were a little dinky, but after searching around and seeing some pictures of installs, man, them suckers are bright.

Anybody on the board here sell them? If not, are there any recommendations for online vendors?
eeyore1351

Post by eeyore1351 »

I encourage you to look at the Sound-Off's Predator II series. They are synchable, come in either single or twin units, and I believe they have a much wider off-axis area of coverage than the Whelens. They're gen. IV LEDs, so you can rest assured they're bright as blazes. http://www.soundoffinc.com/ Click on the Predator II logo at bottom left of the page.

How about Whelen's TA4437M Traffic Advisor? It is a two-piece unit that uses six "Super-LED"s per lamp, with four lamps per 22 3/4" section. It's on page 37 of the Whelen catalog. http://www.whelen.com/pb/automotive/Catalogs/11032.pdf
akardam

Post by akardam »

eeyore1351,

Thanks for the suggestions. I searched high and low, and the best price I could find on the single surface mount PredatorII modules was about $150. I could buy three TIR3 modules for that :/

I had considered the split advisor idea, but the main problem is that the total length remains unchanged - a 44-47" lightbar will simply not fit into the camper shell, split or not. It gets worse if I try and fit the split model next to the 3rd brake light.

I think I'm going to get a couple TIR3's and try them out. If I don't like them in the camper I can always mount them in my grill, I guess :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

akardam

Post by akardam »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I actually found a dealer in my area who had them for a reasonable price. The guy even demo'd them for me.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Them suckers are bright!

Note to self: do not stare into these things directly from 3' away. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

I assume you are talking about the TIR3s?
akardam

Post by akardam »

Adam,

Sorry. Yes I was referring to the TIR3's.
Adam

Post by Adam »

How is the off-axis / view angle brightness?
akardam

Post by akardam »

Vertical off axis dims noticably after about 10 degrees.

Horizontal off axis is much better. I estimate that it started to dim after about 35-40 degrees off axis.

Keep in mind these are just quick eyeball measurements. I will know better when I actually get them mounted in the truck and tested.
Adam

Post by Adam »

i hope you will post pics and video if possible! :D

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”