P110 Radius volume control failures

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

TheAnka

P110 Radius volume control failures

Post by TheAnka »

I have two department radios with problems with the volume control. It goes from none to max and skips in between but won't stay at any constant level other than minimum and maximum. They are both P110 and the local radio shop says they can't be fixed. I was thinking this must be a common problem since we have 2 with the exact same issue.

Any suggestions?
TheAnka

a third p110 problem..

Post by TheAnka »

Just ran into another P110 with fine speaker and volume, but no microphone. Carrier is fine, just not passing any audio. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks
Will

Post by Will »

Sounds like you need a REAL radio fixer, not some "dealer" who knows not.

I fix them all day, no problems. Volume control is faily easy, the options jack goes bad and they are much harder to replace.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Your dealer is what gives MSS techs a bad name. The volume control going bad is a very common problem for ANY radio, since it's a mechanical part. Replace the controls & the radios will work fine.

As for the one with no tx audio, it is likely either the mic cartridge itself, or the flex cable for it, or the accessory jack. Easiest way to tell is to swap the case from one of your working units. If there's still no audio, it's probably the accessory jack.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
TheAnka

Post by TheAnka »

Would it be likely that I could resolder the contacts for the volume control? Tapping it seems to make a difference so I tend to think loose connnection. If so, any tips on getting into the radio without causing major damage?
Znarx

Post by Znarx »

the solder joints on the volume control do have a tendency to crack, causing the exact prolem you describe...however the volume control, on/off is a relatively inexpensive part and cracked solder joints indicate it has been either dropped or jostled pretty good...replace the control & be sure

...Z
TheAnka

open without damage?

Post by TheAnka »

Thanks for all your replies so far-

Can you tell me just how in the world to get this radio out of the case without damaging it? I have tried using a flat head to pry it out but I don't want to crack the housing.

Thanks again for the posts

Post by 601 »

Remove the antenna and control knobs, gently pry up on the bottom of the radio using a small flat head screwdriver, pull the radio up and then partially out of the case, make sure to gently disconnect the speaker and mic connection from the plug, and that's basically it.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”